Feed-based inclusion guidelines
Google News delivers high quality content to users' tablets and smartphones for high speed and offline reading.
Our ability to offer users a great reading experience depends on the quality of the editions in Google News. Therefore, we have quality guidelines in place to help us maintain consistency when determining which editions to include in the Google News catalog.
The following are a handful of important recommendations to consider before publishing your edition. Our team bases the decision on whether to make an edition browsable on the edition’s compliance to the guidelines below. We encourage you to pay close attention to them, as they outline some of the practices that may lead to an edition being removed from the Google News catalog or otherwise lose exposure.
Here are the general standards to follow in building and maintaining your edition:
- Cover image: Cover image: Use a crisp, legible edition icon with solid colors, full bleed, no rounded corners, and no unnecessary gradients or effects. We suggest leaving the background transparent and not white.
- Content freshness: Editions included in Google News need to offer up-to-date content that matches the freshness of the content on your website. Focus on including in your edition frequently updated sections and recent content only.
- Full content: In order for an edition to be included in Google News catalog, users must be able to read full-length articles without exiting the app. This may require that you update your feed to include complete articles, or create a feed specific to Google News.
- Large images: Users want to see beautiful, large images. The shortest side of an image should be 800px, but ideally larger for better display on tablets.
- Article display: Articles with good formatting improve your edition's feel, typically facilitated by a well-formatted content feed. This includes having paragraph breaks, proper character encoding, and image captions that appear near the associated images.
- Readability: Clearly written articles with correct spelling and grammar make for a much better user experience.
- Content policies: Make sure your content complies with our policies.
Here are the technical guidelines to follow in building and maintaining your edition. We recommend you read and follow our technical feed guidelines and best practices to build a compliant feed that will render all the features embedded in your feed.
- Valid feeds: Make sure you’ve verified your RSS/Atom feeds to avoid common errors. Validators include the W3C feed validation service. Follow recommendations provided and fix any issues before creating your edition.
- Cover image: Follow these format and size requirements:
- Formats: PNG preferred, JPG supported.
- Dimensions: 1000px square size recommended, minimum 800px.
- Logo: Make sure the logo follows these guidelines:
- PNG wordmark (i.e. The logo should include the full name of the publication).
- Wide rectangle, not a square.
- Left-aligned with no white space to the left.
- Transparent background.
- Minimum height is 200 px (We recommend 400 px).
- Maximum height-to-width ratio is 1:10 (e.g. If the height is 200 px, make sure the logo width isn't more than 2000 px) and appears legible at small heights (e.g. 16 px).
- Full length articles: Include the full content of your web article because the user should be able to read the entire article without exiting the app. We’ll ask you to take action on any of the below:
- Missing content and “Read more” links.
- One-paragraph articles.
- Articles that break off mid-sentence.
- Paragraph breaks: Make sure that you have breaks between headers, subheaders, and paragraphs.
- Duplicate images: Avoid embedding thumbnails or the same image in multiple sizes or slightly different croppings in your feed as they may all appear in the article.
- Duplicate articles: Our system uses the
<guid>tag in the feed to identify new articles. If updating an article on your website generates a new
<guid>tag, we'll show the 2 versions of the article in the edition.
- Ensure that your feed doesn't generate a new ID for article updates.
- Refer to our feed guidelines on how and when to use the
- Missing media: Ensure you follow our feed guidelines when embedding media as we’ll review your edition and ask you to fix the following issues:
- Podcasts with no audio.
- Articles that reference audio but don’t include it.
- Broken slideshows.
- Images referenced in the article text that don’t appear.
- Videos referenced in the text that don’t appear.
- Content verified: Make sure that you verify your content sources in Producer Distribute Verify content ownership.
- Publish edition: Make sure you publish your edition in Producer Publish Set publication date.
Let us know when your edition is ready
Once you've ensured that your edition is displaying properly and has fresh content, you’re ready to start letting readers know about your edition. We may not be able to approve your edition unless your feeds adhere to the general and technical guidelines.
We cannot provide specific feedback on how to build your XML standard feed. However, you can seek guidance from other publishers in our Google News Help Forum.