Search news archive
Searching for news shows you the most recent articles relevant to your query. Sometimes you may be interested in searching news over historical periods of time to find stories that are most significant over those periods, rather than the most recent. You can do this by searching the news archives.
To search news archives:
- Go to news.google.com.
- Type in your query in the search box at the top of the page.
- Select Enter.
- From the search results page that appears, go to Search tools below the search box.
- From the menu that appears, click the Recent drop-down list.
- Click Archive.
- Click Enter.
- You will see search results ranked by significance
The Archive option lets you search for web news content until the year 2003. You can restrict your search to a more specific data range within this period. To do this, in step 6 above, select Custom range and type your specified dates.
Searching within Google News won’t show results older than the year 2003. If you’re looking for older content, you have two options:
- Use Google Web Search at www.google.com. Note that Google Web Search doesn’t support custom date ranges earlier than 1970 or link to content behind a paywall.
- Search for scanned newspapers (see section below).
Search newspaper archives
To locate an article from a scanned newspaper, go to www.google.com and type in site:google.com/newspapers, followed by the search terms you’d like to use. For example, if you’re searching for a scanned article on the Berlin wall, you would type in:
site:google.com/newspapers "the Berlin wall"