Custom sections for authors
Custom sections directory enables you to get news tailored specifically to your interests. You can personalize your own Google News homepage by creating Custom Sections from your favorite searches and mixing and matching existing standard sections from the regional and language editions of Google News.
Create a Custom Section
If you don't find an existing section on the topic you're interested in, you can always create a new section by following these steps:
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Click Personalize at the top-right corner of the Google News homepage.
- Click Advanced».
- In the right-hand column, you’ll see an area to add a section.
About custom sections
- Section title: The title of your section. This will appear in your Personalized Google News Homepage.
- Search terms: Keywords that define your section. Be relevant and creative, and be sure to separate your keywords with a comma. For example, if you're interested in news about entrepreneurship, you may want to include several phrases such as "startup", "entrepreneur", "venture capital" and "innovation." We make it easier for you to enter these phrases as you type by suggesting related keywords to add.
- Eliminate items: If you want to eliminate a specific item from your search terms, you can put a minus sign in front of the item. For example, if you want to specify a custom section about baseball but want to eliminate Yankees, you could enter "baseball, -Yankees."
- Edition: Language edition of Google News from which your articles will be selected. For example, a "Football" section with the US as the preferred edition will look very different from one with UK as the preferred edition.
- Source location (optional): Restrict to sources from a particular geographic location. For example, if you are interested in the real estate market in Ireland, you could add a restriction to only show news from Irish sources. This is an optional field and nothing needs to be entered. Currently we allow restricting only at the state level within the US or at the country-level outside the US.
As you specify the above fields, our page will dynamically preview sample results for your custom section in the preview pane. This allows you to update and tweak these details and see those changes in your Custom Section as you're creating it.
Publish a Custom Section to the directory
Note:This feature is not available for all editions.
After defining your Custom Section, you have the option to "Publish this section to the directory" by checking the box provided. This will add your Custom Section to the Custom Section Directory, where other users can add it to their Personalized News page, as well as rate your section.
If you decide to publish your Custom Section, you will be asked to write a description and specify the Category from the provided drop-down menu.
Once completed, click Create to create your Custom Section and add it to your Personalized News on Google News. You can edit your Custom Section at any time (or remove it from the directory) by clicking Edit Section when viewing it in Google News.
Note that any Custom Sections found to be in violation of our Program Policies will either be removed from the custom news directory (so that only the creator can see the section) or deleted. We also reserve the right to delete any Custom Section that goes unused or unmaintained for a long period of time.