You can find even more relevant and useful information with Google News by customising some of your sections and settings.
Benefits of personalisation
To start personalising, sign in to your Google Account. If you don’t have a Google Account, you can create one here.
With a personalised Google News homepage on your Google Account, you can:
- Change Google News to your liking. View news from your favourite topics and publishers, and choose a look and feel that suits you.
- Take your settings wherever you go, even when you switch between devices or browsers. Your customised version of Google News will be loaded automatically when you sign in and visit Google News.
- Get personalised content. Google News learns what you like to read as you continue to use Google News over time, and shows you more stories from your favourite topics.
You can control many elements of Google News manually. The central place for your customisation settings can be found by clicking Personalise in the top right-hand corner of the Google News homepage.
In these settings, you can do the following:
- Reorder sections by dragging and dropping them.
- Adjust how much you prefer to see news from a given section by adjusting the slider towards the plus sign (+) or the minus sign (-).
- Delete a section by clicking its Bin icon.
- Create a section by typing a search term (such as "Environment") into the text box and clicking Add. You can also click Advanced to access the custom section directory.
- If you're signed in to your Google Account, you can also adjust sources. To adjust a source, type its name into the text box, click Add and drag the slider to your desired setting.
When you've finished adjusting your settings, click Save.
To hide the side column, click the >> arrows located on the "Top Stories" bar. You can always bring the side column back by clicking the arrows again.
To personalise layout, Google+ content, Sports Scores, Weather and more, see the Additional Settings page.
Where available, you’ll see a local news section in a box in the side column of the Google News homepage, based on your location.
You can change your location in Google News by following these steps:
- Click Change location. If you can't see the option to change your location, you'll need to sign in to your Google Account first.
- Enter a new location.
- Click Save Changes.
You can also specify your preferred language and country settings for Google News. Learn more about language and country settings.
Turn off personalisation
If you don't want to see personalised news:
- Click Standard UK Edition (or standard edition of your country) at the bottom of the Google News homepage. This won't delete any of your News settings or Web History. It will switch you to a non-personalised version of Google News for the duration of your current session. (To switch back, click Personalised UK Edition or the link for the personalised edition of your country.)
- To turn off manual and advanced preferences, click Personalise in the top right-hand corner of the Google News homepage and then click Reset.
Note: Google sometimes also personalises your news sections based on your past activity on Google News. Learn more about News history personalisation.