You can get even more relevant and useful information with Google News by customizing some of your sections and settings.
Benefits of personalization
To get started with personalization, sign in to your Google Account. If you don’t have a Google Account, you can create one here.
With a personalized Google News homepage on your Google Account, you can:
- Change Google News to your liking. View news from your favorite topics and publishers, and choose a look and feel that suits you.
- Take your settings wherever you go, even when you switch between devices or browsers. Your customized version of Google News will be automatically loaded when you sign in and visit Google News.
- Get personalized content. Google News learns what you like to read as you continue to use Google News over time and shows you more stories from your favorite topics.
You can manually control many elements of Google News. The central place for your customization settings can be found by clicking Personalize at the top right corner of the Google News homepage.
In these settings you can do the following:
- Reorder sections by dragging and dropping them.
- Adjust how much you prefer to see news from a given section by adjusting the slider toward the plus sign (+), or the minus sign (-).
- Delete a section by clicking its trash can icon.
- Create a section by typing a search term (such as "Environment") in the text box and clicking Add. You can also click Advanced to access the custom section directory.
- If you’re signed into your Google Account, you can also adjust sources. To adjust a source, type its name into the text box, click Add, and drag the slider to your desired setting.
When you’re done adjusting your settings, click Save.
To hide the side column, click the >> arrows located in the "Top Stories" bar. You can always bring the side column back by clicking the arrows again.
To personalize layout, Sports Scores, Weather, and more, see the Additional Settings page.
Where available, you’ll see a local news section, based on your location, in a box in the side column of the Google News homepage.
You can change your location in Google News by following these steps:
- Click Change location. If you don't see the option to change your location, you'll need to sign in to your Google Account first.
- Enter a new location.
- Click Save Changes.
You can also specify your preferred language and country settings for Google News. Learn more about language and country settings.
Turn Off Personalization
If you don’t want to see personalized news:
- Click Standard U.S. Edition (or standard edition of your country) at the bottom of Google News homepage. This won’t delete any of your News settings or Web History. It will switch you to a non-personalized version of Google News for the duration of your current session. (To switch back, click Personalized U.S. Edition, or the link for the personalized edition of your country.)
- To turn off manual and advanced preferences, click Personalize at the top right corner of the Google News homepage, and then click Reset.
Note: Google sometimes also personalizes your news sections based on your past activity on Google News. Learn more about News history personalization.