You can import map features like lines, shapes, and places to your map from KML files, spreadsheets and other files.
Import map data to a layer
Import a file
Make sure your info is one of these file types:
- Google Sheet
- One or more photos in Google Drive or Google Photos
Unzipped KML and KMZ files can be up to 5MB.
Other files can be up to 40MB.
If the file isn’t in a photo, the first row should contain titles. To import data properly, make sure you have a column with one of the following:
- Latitude-longitude information
- Place names
Don’t import files with more than 2,000 rows. You can only import up to 100 photos at a time.
- On your computer, sign in to My Maps.
- Open or create a map.
- In the map legend, click Add layer.
- Give the new layer a name.
- Under the new layer, click Import.
- Choose or upload the file or photos containing your info, then click Select.
- Map features are added automatically.
Problems importing info
If your info isn’t importing correctly:
- Make sure the file is formatted correctly.
https://mymaps.google.com/to access your Drive. Learn how to allow or block content settings for certain sites in Chrome.
KML files may not import all their data, including:
- KML tours
- Time-based elements
- Image and screen overlays
- 3D models