You can receive interactive messages with rich media, such as photos and videos, from businesses. For example, an airline could send you a message with your boarding pass. To receive these messages, make sure that an advanced setting called 'chat features' is on in Android Messages.
Receive these messages
For rich media and other interactive messages to work, both you and the business need to have chat features turned on. The availability varies, and operator charges may apply. Contact your operator for details.
If your phone and operator can use chat features, the option will show in your advanced settings.
Turn on the setting
- Open Android Messages .
- Tap More Settings.
- Tap Advanced Chat features.
- Tap Enable chat features.
If you don't see this option, it may not be available for your phone or operator.
When a business uses chat features, Google can verify its identity. If the business is verified, it will say 'verified' or have a verified icon .
Note: When you message a business, it will receive a read receipt for each message that you read from that business. Learn more about how to turn off read receipts.
Get more info about a business
To get a business's information, such as the contact number, tap the business's name, then tap Information.
Note: These options will only show if the business has chat features turned on.
If you no longer want to receive interactive messages with rich media from a business, you can block them.
- Open Android Messages .
- Open the conversation with the business that you want to block.
- Tap More Info & options.
- Tap Options Block [business name].
- Choose from below:
- Report as spam: To report spam or poor business behaviour to Google, tap the tick box, and the business will be reported as spam to Google. This will also block the business.
- Block: Confirm that you want to block the business. Once you block a business, the conversation that you had with them will be archived. See your archived messages by going to More Archived.
Pay businesses for goods and services
Certain businesses can request and receive payment from you within an interactive message. You can make this payment via your Google Pay account. Your Google email address won’t be shared with the business when you make a payment.
Note: To receive a payment request from a business within an interactive message, you need to have chat features turned on. Chat features are available for select operators and businesses. Learn more about how to turn on chat features.
Respond to payment requests from businesses
- Open Android Messages and select the message from a business.
- Tap the prompt to continue the transaction.
- An itemised list of costs will be displayed. Click Checkout.
- Select a payment method.
- Note: If you don’t have a payment method set up in Google Pay, tap Add New Payment. Follow the instructions to add a credit or debit card.
- Press Continue.
- At the bottom, swipe to pay. A tick will appear when your payment is completed.
- Your receipt will display within the conversation. You’ll need to contact the business directly for refunds and cancellations.
- Note: Payment requests and receipts are stored as text messages. If you delete these messages, your payment requests and receipts will also be deleted.
Payment requests and receipts are stored as text messages. If you’ve given applications permission to read your text messages, they can read payment requests and receipts that you’ve received. They can’t read your credit card or payment information.