Google Ads settings and account linking
You'll need a Google Ads account that's linked to your Merchant Center account in order to set up your Shopping campaign. This allows your Shopping campaign to use the product data that you submit in your Merchant Center account. You can:
- Create a new Google Ads account
- Use your existing Google Ads account to which you have Administrative access
- Use other Google Ads accounts linked to your Merchant Center account
- Link another Google Ads account to your Merchant Center account
1: Create a new Google Ads account
If you don't have a Google Ads account, you can create one in Merchant Center. Click on the Tools icon and then 'Linked accounts'. Click Create Account to start building your Google Ads account.
You'll need to provide the following information to create your new account:
- Time zone: Defines the time zone upon which your reporting is based.
- Currency: The currency in which you place bids and set budgets.
Both of these options will be pre-populated based on your location, but you can select any options available in the drop-downs. Note that you won't be able to edit these settings later.
2: Use an existing Google Ads account to which you have Admin access
If you already have Administrative access to a Google Ads account that's listed under the same login ID as your Merchant Center account, you can use this Google Ads account to set up your Shopping campaign. Either click Link your account in the Shopping ads setup page, or click on the Tools icon and then Linked accounts to start the process.
3: Use another Google Ads account linked to your Merchant Center account
There may be one or more Google Ads accounts owned by other users (e.g. colleagues from your organisation) that are linked from your Merchant Center account. Even though you don't have access to those Google Ads accounts, you can choose the specific account from the list that you'd like to use for your Shopping campaign, and contact the owner of that account. The owner of the account can either give you access to the Google Ads account or can log into Merchant Center themselves to set up a Shopping campaign.
You can also change the linking status of one of these Google Ads accounts by selecting one of the following:
- 'Activate' will allow a linked Google Ads account to access your Merchant Center account.
- 'Deactivate' will disable the link between that Google Ads account and your Merchant Center account.
- 'Remove' will permanently remove the link between a Google Ads account and your Merchant Center account.
4: Link another Google Ads account
If there is a Google Ads account that you would like to link to your Merchant Center account to create your Shopping campaign (e.g. for an Ad agency that may be managing your Ad campaigns), you can click the Tools icon and then Linked accounts. Then, click on the plus icon under 'Other Google Ads accounts'. Enter the Google Ads Customer ID for that account and save. The owner of that linked Google Ads account can then sign in to Google Ads and set up campaigns directly in Google Ads.