To sell your products on Google, you’ll need to configure your return policies for all of your products.
How it works
A return policy can be associated with all products or with specific groups of products, which can be specified using the
For each return policy, you can configure a number of settings, such as return window, when customers are responsible for the cost of return shipping, and seasonal overrides.
Note: You must configure your return policy options in your Merchant Center account. Any separate or additional return policies (for example, the return policies on your website) cannot be enforced on customers who make purchases via Buy on Google.
Add a return policy
The first return policy that you create will be your default return policy. This policy will apply to all products with a return policy attribute that is empty or cannot be found in the return settings. After setting up your default policy, you can add additional return policies for specific groups of products.
About default and additional policies
Your default return policy must allow customers to make returns for up to at least 30 days, or 14 days for France, from the delivery date. Additional return policies shorter than 30 days (or 14 days for France) may be created, but should only be applied to products in allowable exception categories.
The first return policy you create will be your default return policy. If the feed for a product does not include a
return_policy_label column, if the
return_policy_label attribute is blank, or if the return policy specified by the feed cannot be found, the default return policy will be used.
Additional return policies can be created by using labels to define groups of products, like electronics or apparel, and then applying specific return policies to those groups. These policies can be specified in the feed with the
Requirements for return policies
Customer return fees
Restocking fees are not allowed and therefore cannot be specified.
Specifications for seasonal overrides include:
- Name of the override
- Override dates
- Whether or not products are returnable
- Return window, with four options
- A specified date until which products may be returned
- Number of days during which products may be returned
- Product may be returned any time
- Product may not be returned
If you set a specific date until which products may be returned and that date differs from the return window of a non-seasonal policy, the more favorable of the two policies will be applied.
To add a return policy:
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Click the tools icon , then select Shipping and returns under “Tools.”
- Click the Return policies tab.
- Click the plus button .
Step 1: Policy settings
- Name your policy (not applicable to default policy). Add a descriptive name to distinguish this return policy, such as “Shoe returns,” or “Non-perishable products.” Each return policy name must be unique.
- Apply a label. Enter a label, such as accessories, that will match the
return_policy_labelattribute in the feed.
- Return window. Decide if products covered by this policy:
- Can be returned for a specific time period.
- Can be returned at any time.
- May not be returned.
Step 2: Reason for return fees
Select reasons (such as, “does not fit” or “ordered wrong product”) to indicate when the return cost is the responsibility of the customer. If you do not select any reasons, or if the reason for the return is not included among the reasons that you do select, you will be responsible for the cost of the return, as specified in the Shopping Actions Return policy. You’ll have to specify that the actual cost of return shipping the customer will be charged for this return policy
Note: This fee is only applicable on remorse returns. Restocking fees are not allowed
Step 3: Seasonal overrides
Set a seasonal override for products that are ordered within a specific time range and for which there is an exception to the standard return policy.
- Enter override name. Choose a name to identify your override.
- Override dates. Determine the purchase period to which the policy applies.
- Return time window. Specify the latest date by which products must be returned, set specific dates during which products may be returned, or allow products to be returned at any time or not at all.
Note: If you set a specific date until which products may be returned and that date differs from the return window of a non-seasonal policy, the more favorable of the two policies will be applied.
Add return_policy_label attribute to products
If you only have one return policy (the default policy), you do not need to make any updates to your feed.
If you have created multiple return policies, you will need to add the
return_policy_label column to your feed. If the default policy applies, keep this column blank. If a non-default return policy applies, add the label name for that policy.
Need help? Click here to contact Shopping Actions support.