Shopping Actions has a new name! Shopping Actions is now Buy on Google. You’ll see the new name across the help center. Learn more
Google managed returns are returns for which Google uses its own account with its own common carrier partner to provide customers with shipping labels for which you will be subsequently charged. Our return and refund process helps provide a consistent and reliable customer experience. Learn more about Google-managed customer support
This article explains the benefits, participation requirements, and process for Buy on Google returns.
Google-managed returns and refunds offer 4 main benefits:
- Easy-to-follow standards and processes
- Google support for both merchants and customers
- Enforced return eligibility
- Savings on shipping and processing costs
Choose the country where you use Buy on Google.
Participation requirements and policy
Make sure you meet the following requirements:
Process the refund within 2 business days of the return arriving at your facility. If your refund isn't processed within 2 business days, a refund may be processed automatically on your behalf and the refund will be deducted from your merchant center account balance.Note: You can manually reject a return from the Order management section of your Merchant Center account.
- Include the purchase price plus tax and any applicable fees in the total refund amount, as long as the product is returned in new or as delivered condition. To determine which fees are eligible for refund, review the following policies:
- There are different policies for refunding different types of fees.
- Restocking fees: Do not charge customers for restocking fees.
- Return shipping fees, order-related returns: Order-related returns include situations when products are late, damaged or poor quality, incorrect, or don't match the description. Do not charge customers for return shipping on order-related returns.
- For most products, provide a minimum 14-day return policy, starting from their delivery date. Products that don't meet the minimum return policy may be removed from your available inventory.
- This return policy duration applies for any return reason
- Goods which are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly (for example, food, groceries, and living things, including flowers and plants) cannot be returned, but may be refunded.
- Allow an extra 30 days from the end of return eligibility for the return to arrive at your facility.
- Products under €8: To save on shipping and processing costs, products valued under €8 may be automatically refunded without a physical return. These refund costs are billed in your monthly invoicing.
- Return shipping fees:
- Remorse returns: Remorse returns include situations when customers change their minds, order products by mistake, find a better price, or products don't fit as expected. For remorse returns the merchant will be billed €2 related to the cost of the return label. The merchant is entitled to deduct the €2 from the refund issued to the customer.
- Original shipping fees: Original shipping fees must be refunded up to the cost of a standard shipment.
How it works
Customers can start returns through Buy on Google or by contacting Google customer support. Google manages all order-related communications and decides how best to help customers based on participation requirements and your return policy. To help facilitate this process, be sure to clearly display your return policy information on your product details page.
When customers start a return, we give them a prepaid return label and a packing slip. The return label includes your return address, the Google order ID, the merchant order ID (if applicable), and the return reason code to facilitate your return and refund process.
Customers may ask for a return, via order history, online self care, or direct contact with customer service.
You’ll be billed the full cost for the non-remorse return shipping. For customer remorse returns, you’ll be billed 2 EUR.
To ensure your return-eligible products can be returned without any special packaging requirements, make sure your products can be shipped in one package or can be broken into several packages that don’t exceed:
- 30 kg
- Sum of height, width and length should not be more than 2 meters in total
Refunds, replacements, and courtesy coupons
Customer support can issue refunds, replacements, or courtesy coupons. These decisions may be granted for various reasons. For the following order-related reason codes, refunds and replacement costs will be shown in your settlement report:
- Unsuccessful delivery
- Package or item missing
- Incorrect item sent
- Incorrect price charged
- Item is perishable, damaged, defective, or expired
Keep in mind
- The total cost of a refund or replacement includes product price, tax, and may include associated shipping cost and shipping cost tax.
- To save on shipping and processing costs, products valued under 8 EUR may be automatically refunded without a physical return. These refund costs are deducted from your merchant center account balance.
When does Google issue refunds without return?
In general, customers will be instructed to return all available products, but there may be exceptions when customer support determines that a refund without a return is more appropriate. Here are some situations to keep in mind:
- If customer support issues refunds when products are available to be returned, you'll be billed a maximum of 8 EUR.
- If customer support issues refunds because products weren’t received by the customer, you'll be responsible for the entire cost of the product.
- If customer support issues refunds for products that have been returned to you, but haven’t been processed within the required refund processing timeline, you’ll be billed for the full amount for these refunds.
|Refund type||Merchant refund values for returnless refunds|
|Refund for customer remorse||Not to exceed 8 EUR + original shipping fees|
|Refund for late parcel||Not to exceed 8 EUR + original shipping fees|
|Refund for wrong item||Not to exceed 8 EUR + original shipping fees|
|Refund for damaged item or perishable items||Not to exceed 8 EUR + original shipping fees|
|Refund for missing item or package||Full item value + original shipping fees|
|Refund for returns not processed by merchant in time||Full item value + original shipping fees|
|Mark as delivered?||Missing in transit?||Signature obtained?||Merchant results|
- Customers may be asked to provide photographic evidence in the case of wrong products or damaged products.
- Management of the carrier relationship depends on whether deliveries are inbound or outbound.
- For outbound deliveries, you will manage the contractual relationship with the carrier, including investigations, claims and reimbursement.
- For inbound returns, Google will manage the relationship with the carrier for what concerns the return process. The carrier chosen by Google for the service is Colissimo.
- In case of a lost parcel, a returned product that was damaged during the return transit, or missing returned product, you should get in touch with the Google team, and we’ll start a claim with the carrier. The carrier will run an investigation and will either provide a refund or find the lost parcel.
- If the parcel hasn't been located within or after the 48 hour window, Google will refund the customer and you will be billed.
- If the parcel has been located within or after the 48 hour window, you won't be billed.
- Responsibility for the cost of a return depends on whether or not a signature was required.
- If a signature for delivery was required, Google will redirect the customer to you and inform the customer of the potential documents needed to manage this situation (for example, declaration of honor and police report). The merchant can then apply its internal processes.
- If a signature was not required, you’ll be responsible for the entire cost of the product, pending collection of the declaration of honor and a copy of ID from the customer.
Need help? Click hereto contact Buy on Google support.