About the Product suggestions report (US only)
The Product suggestions report shows popular products on Google that you're not currently advertising. In the "Personalized" view, the products are selected based on how similar they are to your most popular products and ranked based on how many clicks an ad for that product is likely to receive. Along with the products, you'll also see prices for those products from other retailers.
This article explains how the Product suggestions report (US only) works and what you can do to get the most from it. If you're selling products outside the US, read about Product suggestions for other countries.
- Get the right products: Since the Product suggestions report shows you which relevant products will likely get you the most clicks right now, you'll have more insight into new products that you can add to your own inventory. Filter the report by category to look at the products that make the most sense for your business.
- Set the right price: The Product suggestions report gives you up to 5 benchmark prices for each product. This information may provide useful context as you decide how you price products you advertise on Google.
Find the report
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- On the left, click Products.
- On the page menu, click Product suggestions.
- At the top of the table, you'll see two tabs: "Top products", and "Personalized". Use these tabs to switch between the types of reports you'd like to see.
How it works
The Product suggestions report shows you products that you might want to advertise based on your current products, along with insight into how many clicks an ad for that product would receive.
- The report only includes products that you don't currently submit in your Merchant Center product data.
- The report doesn't include products that are:
- Not widely sold
- Receive few clicks
- Submitted by few merchants
The "Top products" tab shows you the most popular items on Google Shopping in your target country and category for the last 7 days.
Personalized (US only)
The "Personalized" tab shows you products that you might want to advertise based on your current products, ranked by how many clicks an ad for that product would receive. These products are related to what you're currently advertising.
For multi-client accounts, your sub-accounts may get suggestions for products that are already sold by other sub-accounts.
To get started, filter the information in the report by choosing a category. You can only select from categories where you're currently receiving enough ad clicks. The list of all Google product categories can be found in the Google product taxonomy.
Here's the information you'll find in the report:
- "Personalized (US only)": A star-rating that estimates how many clicks this product could get if you begin to advertise it. Products with 3 stars are estimated to get more clicks and products with 1 star may get fewer.
- "Top products": A numeric rating for the popularity of the item on Google Shopping, based on user clicks and other indicators. In the list of 100 items, 1 is most popular and 100 is least popular in the report.
- Image: A sample main image provided in the 'image link' attribute.
- Brand: The product's manufacturer.
- Title: A sample title for the product provided in the 'title' attribute.
- Description: A sample description for the product provided in the 'description' attribute.
- Category: The Google product category that this item belongs to.
- Benchmark Prices: Up to 5 prices for this product in ads that are currently listed on Google . These values do not include shipping cost.
If you submit products for multiple countries, you'll be able to select the country from the dropdown menu above the report table.
To download the results of the report into a CSV file, click the Download button next to the category box.
Depending on the type of business you run, you might want to use this report in different ways.
- You sell products in many categories: Consider searching for results based on a high-level Google product category, like 'Media' or 'Home & Garden'. You'll get the widest understanding of product popularity, because the results will include products from the all sub-categories within the category you choose.
- You specialize in a specific category: Consider searching for results based on a narrow Google product category, like
Home & Garden > Plants > Trees. You'll get a focused understanding of product popularity in a specific category.
Here are common issues with the Product suggestions report and how to address them.No report available for the selected category
The report only includes products that are advertised by multiple merchants. If you see the message “No Product suggestions report available for the selected category” in your Product suggestions tab, it means that there aren't enough merchants advertising the same products in the selected category and country. In the “Personalized” view, suggested products are only available in categories where you're currently receiving enough ad clicks.
This can happen for a couple of reasons:
- You aren't using GTINs (also known as UPCs and EANs) to identify your products. Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs) match your products to official records of products defined through GS1. Learn more about using GTINs.
- You sell the product on your website, but it isn't submitted with your product data. Submit this product with your product data to start advertising it.