adult [adult]: Definition
adult [adult] attribute to indicate that individual products are for adults only because they contain adult content such as nudity or sexually suggestive content, or are intended to enhance sexual activity.
We care what we show to our users, so if your business model is not adult-orientated but you're selling an individual adult-orientated product, you need to label that product clearly so we can show appropriate and legally compliant content to people shopping online.
When to use
Required if a product contains adult content such as nudity or sexually suggestive content, or is intended to enhance sexual activity
If an individual product is defined as adult-orientated according to our policy, restrict that product to adults only using the
adult [adult] attribute. Learn more about our policy on adult-orientated content.
If your business model is promoting nudity or sexually suggestive content, then instead label your site as adult-orientated at the account level:
- Sign in to Merchant Center.
- From the navigation panel, click Shopping ads, then click Configuration in the page menu.
- Click on the Adult content section.
- Tick the box for My site contains adult products as defined by Google's policy.
- Click Save.
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure that we understand the data that you're submitting.
|yes, true, no, false|
|File format||Example entry|
For format API information, please see Content API for Shopping.
Follow these guidelines to make sure that you submit high-quality data for your products and get the best performance from your ads.
These are the requirements that you'll need to meet to show ads for your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know on the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- Submit either
no. If an individual product is not adult-orientated, then you don't need to submit
no. We'll assume that your product is not adult-orientated if you don't submit the attribute and if your site is not set as adult-orientated at the account level.
- Don't advertise adult-orientated products on the landing page of a product that isn't adult-orientated. If you're also advertising products that are not adult-orientated, make sure that their landing pages are completely free of adult-orientated content. If that's not possible, then set your entire site or those individual products as adult-orientated.
These are best practices that can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimise your product data for performance.
- Don't use the
adult [adult]attribute to indicate age group. For example, if you want to indicate that you're selling adult-sized shoes, and not kids shoes, use the
Review each section closely to determine whether the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- If any item in the bundle is considered adult, you must submit the
adult [adult]attribute for the entire bundle.