Use the adult
[adult] attribute to indicate that individual products are for adults only because they contain adult content such as nudity, sexually suggestive content, or are intended to enhance sexual activity.
We care what we show to our customers, so if your business model is not adult oriented but you’re selling an individual adult-oriented product, you need to label that product clearly so we can show appropriate and legally compliant content to people shopping online.
When to use
Required if a product contains adult content such as nudity, sexually suggestive content, or is intended to enhance sexual activity
If an individual product is defined as adult-oriented according to our policy, restrict that product to adults only using the adult
[adult] attribute. Learn more about our policy on adult-oriented content.
If your website is generally focused on an adult audience and contains adult-oriented content with or without nudity use the account level settings instead:
- Navigate to your Merchant Center account
- Click on the tool icon to open the "Tools and settings" menu, then select Shopping ads setup.
- Expand the “Adult content” panel, and check the box beside “My website primarily contains adult-oriented content (for example, erotic lingerie) as defined by Google's Policy.”
- If you check the box, you don't need to submit the adult attribute for individual products.
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure Google understands the data you're submitting.
These are the supported values for this attribute:
[yes] / True
[no] / False
|File format||Example entry|
To format your data for Content API, see the Content API for Shopping.
These are the requirements you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page in your Merchant Center account.
- Submit either
no. If an individual product is not adult oriented, then you don’t need to submit
no. We’ll assume that your product is not adult oriented if you don’t submit the attribute and if your site is not set as adult oriented at the account level.
- Don’t show adult-oriented products on the landing page of a product that isn’t adult oriented. If you’re also advertising products that are not adult oriented, make sure that their landing pages are completely free of adult-oriented content. If that’s not possible, then set your entire site or those individual products as adult oriented.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimize your product data for performance.
- Do not use the adult attribute to indicate age group. For example, if you want to indicate that you’re selling "adult-sized" shoes, and not "kids" shoes, use the age group
- Do not use the adult attribute for alcohol. Check how to label alcohol products using the Google product category
[google_product_category]attribute to ensure products are shown to an appropriate audience.
Review each section closely to determine if the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in Diagnostics in your Merchant Center account.