materialattribute to describe the main fabric or material that your product is made of. For example, a high-heeled pump might be made out of leather, denim, or suede. This information helps create accurate filters, which users can use to narrow search results. If your product has variants that vary by material, then provide that information through this attribute.
When to use
Required for all products that vary by material
Optional for any products where material is an important, distinguishing feature
If the material is an important feature of your product, then submit this attribute. We especially recommend that you submit the
material attribute if users might search for your product by material or if users might decide to buy your product based on the material.
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure we understand the data you're submitting.
|Type||Unicode characters (Recommended: ASCII only), not case sensitive|
|Product.material, Type: Text|
|File format||Example entry|
To format your data for Content API, see the Content API for Shopping.
These are the requirements you'll need to meet to show your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page in your Merchant Center account.
- Include the main fabric or material that your product is made of. Don’t include values that belong in other attributes such as color, size, or pattern.
materialfor all products that vary by material. Use this attribute when your product is a variant that’s distinguished by its material (for example, black suede shoes and black leather shoes), and also submit each variant with the same value for the
- Submit only one value. Only a single value will be accepted in the
materialfield. If you want to submit a product made of multiple materials, you can specify one primary material followed by up to 2 secondary materials that are each separated by a slash ( / ) in one single field.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimize your product data for performance.
materialwhenever it’s relevant. Material is not just for apparel categories. If users might want to know the material of your product, include that information with this attribute. For example, you might submit material for furniture, curtains, and hardware.
- Submit a
materialfor precious metals. If your product is made of a precious metal (for example, gold or silver), submit this information with the
- Include up to 3 materials. If your product is comprised of multiple materials, you can specify one primary material followed by up to 2 secondary materials that are each separated by a slash (
/). For example:
- Use a value users will be able to understand. The value you submit can be shown to users, so avoid abbreviations or internal terms. For example, don’t submit calf if you mean calfskin, and don’t submit lthr if you mean leather.
- Don’t use values that don’t mention the material. This attribute is optional, so if it’s not relevant for your product, then don’t use it. For example, don’t submit values like n/a, none, multi, or other.
If your product has variants of different materials, submit the material for each variant.
|Product||Women’s J Pump in Suede|
|Product||Women’s J Pump in Patent Leather|
If your product is made of multiple materials, you can specify one primary material followed by up to 2 secondary materials that are each separated by a slash (
Users might use material as a deciding factor when shopping for apparel products.
|Product||Women’s J Pump|
|Product||White gold wedding band|
||White Gold Wedding Band - 14K - 3mm|
|Product||Platinum-plated engagement ring|
||Round Platinum-Plated Classic Engagement Ring|
|Product||Mid-century modern sofa|
||walnut/70% polyester/30% acrylic|