About item disapprovals for policy violations
Our goal is to provide the best user experience on Google. In order to ensure that the ads we show to online shoppers are safe, secure, and comply with legal requirements, we maintain comprehensive enforcement of the Shopping ads policies for all merchants. If we find that items you submit do not comply with our policies, we will disapprove individual items or your entire Merchant Center account depending on the severity and frequency of the violation.
Automatic disapproval of individual items
We use automated systems to identify items that violate our policies. These checks are applied to all items from all merchants. When an item is disapproved, it won't be eligible to serve in Shopping ads.
In some instances, you’ll see the option in your Merchant Center account to request a manual review of an item that has been disapproved automatically for policy violations. Please note that this manual review is only available for select policy violations. If you believe your item was incorrectly disapproved and would like to request a manual review, follow the steps below:
- Click on the title of the item in the List section of the Products page to view the individual item page.
- Under Item status, click "Request review".
- Review the policies related to your item disapproval, and then check the box that acknowledges that you reviewed the information.
- Select "Request manual review."
It may take up to 3 business days to complete the manual review. Items that are approved as the result of a review will be eligible to serve in Shopping ads within 24 hours. If we review your item and determine that it was correctly disapproved, you won’t be able to request manual reviews of other items in your account for 7 days.
Preemptive item disapproval
In addition to automatic item disapprovals, we also perform manual reviews of your product data. If during a manual review we find an item in your account that violates a policy, we'll immediately disapprove it and send you an email asking you to remove it and any other items that violate the policy from your product data. If you don't remove the violating items within a certain timeframe, we'll start disapproving other items in your feed that contain keywords related to the initial policy violation. We call this "preemptive item disapproval," because we err on the side of caution and suspend items based on these related keywords. Preemptive item disapproval allows you to still advertise other products from your account while protecting users from products that may violate our policies.
If we find a combat knife that violates our weapons policy and you don't remove it from your account within the timeframe specified in our email notification, we will disapprove any other items in your account that could potentially violate the weapons policy, like other kinds of knives, apparel with a knife print, or books about knives.
Preemptive item disapprovals might not be available for all policies. Egregious or repeat violations may still lead to account suspension rather than preemptive item disapprovals. Violations of multiple policies can result in different instances of preemptive item disapproval occurring at the same time.
How to fix:
- Any item that violates a policy needs to be removed from your product data. Details about the violation are included in the email we sent to your users on your account opted in to receiving Mandatory Service Announcements your technical contact, will include examples from your product data. If you have additional items in your data that violate the same policy but aren't included in the email, you'll need to remove those, too.
- Once the violation is resolved, items that were preemptively disapproved will return to approved status within 3 days without any additional work on your part. You don't need to request a manual review.
- Using the violating items we listed in the email as a reference, consider ways that you can avoid violating this policy in the future, like blocking certain categories, brands, or keywords.
In severe cases, we will suspend your Merchant Center account for policy violations. Learn more about account suspensions.