Debug API errors via the API Dashboard
The API Dashboard lets you find, view and download all the failed data entries in the Content API requests that you upload on the Google Merchant Center account.
The key features of this API debug tool are:
- Find all the entry-related errors in the API requests for a given time period.
- Determine the total number of failed data entries per error category.
- View a sample request that caused the entry-related error.
- Download the full request and full response for further analysis.
You can analyse the affected data entries and find all the API requests that have a similar error, at your end. After fixing the errors, resubmit the API requests, so that your complete product inventory is correctly displayed on Google Shopping.
The Timeline utility lets you find the failed data entries in the API requests uploaded within a given time period. The results displayed include the total number of failed instances across the error categories.
To view the failed data entries, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account and click API Dashboard on the left hand navigation. The page is displayed.
- In the Timeline utility, select a pre-defined time period (your options are: 1 minute, 5 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, and so on).
- Optionally, you can zoom to a specific number of days by sliding the timeline bar below the graph. This can be useful when you need to locate specific error entries within a few hours or days. For instance, when your account is experiencing a spike in errors on a particular day.
The API debugger utility searches all the API requests that you uploaded in the specified time period and renders a graph displaying the Number of failed entries vs. the Total number of entries. The sample failed requests (if any) are displayed below Entry Errors.
Note: The displayed timestamp on the graph is per the time zone specified in the web browser.
After the Entry Errors section displays the error lists and sample codes, you can browse through them to quickly determine the causes of the failed entries in the API requests.
To view and download the failed data entries, follow these steps:
- In the Entry Errors section, click the '+' and '-' icons to browse through the errors and their respective sample snippets. The Sample displays the request type (GET, POST, PUT or DELETE), along with its URL.
- Now, view the error in the sample code, by clicking the Request Snippet and Response Snippet tabs.
- Optionally, you can download the full requests, by clicking the full request and full response links, next to Download.
Use the above error messages as guidelines to fix your API requests and resubmit them.
Note 1: The errors are listed by descending number of instances.
Note 2: Errors related to malformed XML requests are currently not captured by the API debug tool.