Register a Google Sheet on Merchant Center
This article contains information on how to register and set up a Google Sheet based feed with Merchant Center. Use Google Sheets to quickly submit your product data to Google Merchant Center. Google Sheets and Merchant Center offer simple templates and add-ons to help you create and manage your feeds.
Once you have a Sheets-powered feed registered in your Merchant Center account, you can install the Google Merchant Center add-on from your spreadsheet to create, validate, and upload your feed.
How to register a new Google Sheets feed
A feed registered through Google Sheets can be sourced through an existing Google Sheet or through an generated Merchant Center template (recommended).
- Sign into your Google Merchant Center account
- Go to the Feeds page under Products
- Click the plus button to create a new feed
- Provide the mode, feed type, target country, content language and feed name for your feed
- Select Google Sheets as the input method for your data feed.
- Choose to generate a new Sheet from the template (recommended) or select an existing Google Sheet to connect to your account
- Follow the prompts for the option that you selected
- Click Save
Your Google spreadsheets will be shared with an email address that ends in the domain @partnercontent.gserviceaccount.com, which is the account we use to access and process your Sheet. The email address is unique to your Merchant Center account. If other members of your organization need to edit the feed, you can share it with them .
Generate a new template Google Sheet
The Google Sheet template contains an auto-filled row of required and recommended attributes, descriptions of attributes and value requirements, and a step by step guide on how to upload your product data to Merchant Center. If this is your first time creating a feed, the template is a useful tool to determine what information is needed for your product data.
- When prompted, select the option to Generate a new Google spreadsheet from a template. This option will appear after you select to upload your product data with Google Sheets.
- Click Save
- Grant Merchant Center temporary permission to view and manage your spreadsheets and your documents in the popup that appears. These permissions are temporary and are only used to add the spreadsheet template in Drive at the time of creation. Note: Permissions will need to be granted every time new spreadsheet template is created.
- Click on the newly created feed in the Feeds page
- Select Edit spreadsheet
- Add your product data to the template
- Click the Fetch now button under the feed name to upload your product data
You can edit the header row or update the template with a new header if needed, such as to add any optional attributes. Make sure you have all of the required attributes according to the product data specification before uploading your product data. Learn more about setting up your product data in Google Sheets.
Note: If you’re unable to edit the new template, it may be because you aren’t recognized as being signed in. Click “Sign In” on the top right of the screen and try again.
How to select an existing Google Sheet
- When prompted, choose the option to Select an existing Google Sheet. This option will appear after you select to upload your product data with Google Sheets.
- In the popup that appears, select the Google Sheet that you want to link to your Merchant Center account
- Click Save
- Grant Merchant Center permission to view and manage your spreadsheets and your documents in the popup that appears. These permissions are temporary and are only used to add the spreadsheet template in Drive at the time of creation. Note: Permissions will need to be granted every time new spreadsheet template is created.
- Select Upload now to upload your product data to Merchant Center
How to install the Merchant Center add-on
- Select Get add-on in the Add-ons menu of any open document or spreadsheet.
- Search for the Google Merchant Center add-on.
- Click to install the add-on.
- A message will appear requesting access to specific data that the add-on needs to work. Read this message and click Accept.
- The add-on will appear as a sidebar on your spreadsheet.
- Once you’ve installed the add-on, you can access it anytime by selecting Merchant Center from the Add-ons menu.
After you have registered your Google Sheets-powered feed in Merchant Center, you can begin to set up and submit your product data.