Provide high-quality data
To attract users to your products and to have them eventually buy from your store, it is essential to provide high-quality product data -- product data that is fresh, accurate and comprehensive. In order to maintain a smooth shopping experience, it is important that a user sees the same information about products in Google Shopping that they’ll see on your website.
Providing Fresh Data
When a user comes to your website from Google Shopping, he or she expects to see the same price and availability that's shown in Google Shopping results, or, what is provided in your data to us. For example, if the product is listed as being 'in stock' on Google Shopping, the user expects to be able to buy that item -- it is disappointing when that item is not actually available for purchase. For these reasons, we check your website regularly to ensure information provided to us is the same as on your website - at all times. If your website and the data you provide to us do not match, your items may be suspended from Google Shopping results. See our policies for more details.
Here are some tips for providing fresh data:
- Create your feed right after you've updated your database with the latest information, such as price and availability status.
- Submit your feed to Google at the same time as you update your website. For example, if you update your website every night at 2:30 am, submit your feed at 2:30 am. We usually update your information for existing products within minutes (see your Merchant Center Dashboard for details). If your website consists of several parts that are updated individually, create a feed for each of them and submit them at the appropriate time.
- Use schema.org microdata. Enable automatic item updates if you have valid microdata on your website. This feature reduces the risk of account suspension for price and availability mismatches and prevents temporary item disapprovals by extracting the most accurate product data from your website. Learn more
- Submit your feed multiple times per day if you update your website multiple times per day (or continuously). We recommend you submit your feed around 4 times a day: early in the morning, around noon, late afternoon, and in the evening. If your prices and availability change frequently, consider using online product inventory update feeds. You can use this feed type to submit quick updates to the 'price,' 'availability', 'sale price,' and 'sale price effective date' attributes for all or some of your products. Learn more
- Try to minimize the amount of time that your data is being pre-processed if you are using a third party feed provider.
- Coordinate scheduled fetches with website updates. If you’ve set up your Merchant Center account for scheduled fetches, match the timing of the fetch to any regular updates on your website. Learn more
- Use the Content API for Shopping (advanced) to send the most current price and availability information to Google. The Content API allows you to provide updates for individual items and update your data to Google Shopping almost immediately. This occurs as soon as the product information changes in your own system. Learn more
Providing Accurate and Comprehensive Data
When a user comes to Google Shopping to look for a product, he or she often has something very specific in mind. We then show him or her the most relevant products. The more information we have about your products, the better we can serve our users and send them to your website.
Therefore, submit all of the required attributes listed in our feed specification that apply to your products. We also suggest including as many of the recommended attributes as you can. By providing all of the relevant attributes, we can show users products which are most relevant to search queries. In addition, make sure you submit all products that meet our policies. Read these policies carefully.
When providing this information, you also need to make sure it is accurate. As stated in our policies, we enforce a high standard of accurate product information. If you don't meet our standard when we routinely check your data, all of your products may be suspended from Google Shopping.