About item and account disapprovals for product data violations
Providing the best experience for users on Google Shopping means that we ask you to follow the requirements in the Products Feed Specification. If your data doesn't meet the requirements, we may need to disapprove an item or your entire Merchant Center account. It's important to understand how disapprovals work and what to do about them, because a disapproved item can't be advertised on Google Shopping.
This article will explain the different types of product data disapprovals and what you can do if you have disapproved items in your account.
Temporary item disapproval
We review your individual items submitted via data feeds and the Content API for Shopping regularly. If we detect that the data you provide does not match the product information on your website, we may disapprove these items temporarily. This will prevent the item from appearing on Google Shopping. Please review any disapproved items and ensure that you’re submitting accurate product data.
If you have valid schema.org microdata on your website, you can choose to enable automatic item updates, a feature that reduces the risk of account suspension for price and availability mismatches and prevents temporary item disapprovals.
What to do
- Make the corrections to your product data and ensure that you’ve implemented a long-term solution to prevent future violations.
- After a disapproved item has been updated with accurate information and uploaded again, we will review the items again. This might take up to 12 hours to verify that the items have been fixed. Note that temporarily disapproved offers will be re-approved automatically within 4 days. Items that have been re-approved automatically are still subject to future disapprovals.
Request an exception from the 'gtin' attribute requirements
If you submitted a product without a 'gtin' when a 'gtin' would normally be required, your product will be disapproved. To get an exception from the 'gtin' requirements for your product, you can request a manual review through your Merchant Center account. You'll only be able to request a manual review when targeting Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, the UK, and the US.
Use the steps below to request a manual review:
- Click on the title of the item on the Products tab to view the individual item page.
- Click the link for "Why is this item disapproved?"
- Review the 'gtin' attribute requirements related to your item disapproval, and then check the box that acknowledges that you reviewed the information.
- Select "Request manual review."
It may take up to 3 business days to complete the manual review. Items that are approved as the result of a review will be eligible to serve on Google Shopping within 24 hours.
We'll send you the following series of emails containing all relevant information for account suspension for data quality issues.
Warnings: Google Shopping will review merchants on an ongoing basis. If we find that your data is not in compliance, we’ll send you an email with a warning and timeframe to fix your data quality issues. During the warning period, your items will continue to appear on Google Shopping. Please note that this warning period will not be displayed in your Merchant Center account.
Account Suspensions: After the warning period specified in our email, we’ll review your data once more. If you haven’t resolved the issue, your account will be suspended and all items consequently removed from Google Shopping. You will also see your suspension status appear in both your Google Merchant Center Dashboard and Diagnostics tabs.
Important: Please note that account suspensions refer to the removal of your items from Google Shopping. Your items will still be available for other destinations and your actual Google account will still allow you to access other Google products.
What to do after an account suspension not related to tax or shipping
- Make the corrections to your products listings and ensure that you’ve implemented a long-term solution to prevent future violations.
- Submit your product listings again.
- Review your data in the Products tab. Here, you can see information that was most recently submitted to Google Merchant Center, and you can compare this data to your live website.
- Once you have fixed the issues, please contact us through this form or your dedicated account representative.
What to do after an account suspension related to tax or shipping
If your account was suspended for tax or shipping violations, we recommend you use these steps to request a quick review.
- Review the errors in the Diagnostics tab to understand why the suspension occurred.
- Update your product data or account to make sure you meet the requirements. There are two ways you can make the update:
- (Recommended) Update your account-level settings to set shipping or tax information for your items. Learn about account-level tax and shipping settings.
- Update your product data to accurately reflect the shipping cost and meet the Products Feed Specification requirements. Learn more about the 'tax' attribute. Learn more about the 'shipping' attribute.
- From the notification on the Dashboard or Diagnostics tab of your Merchant Center account, request an account review. You'll be able to request a review from this notification up to 3 times. If you've used all 3 of your review requests, contact us using the "Disapproved data feeds or items" form or through your dedicated account representative.