To test real-time caption translations, sign up for the Meet Caption Translations Beta.

/meet/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Camera will not start in google meet
I saw some posts about this, but they were all about a year old and the information didn't help me! I have an integrated webcam on a Dell laptop. Whenever I go to join a google meeting, the camera just stays in the "camera is starting" phase, and never actually works. I tried visiting webcam test sites, and it works fine on all of those, just not google meet. Please help!!
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (309)
Relevant Answer

Does it work with other apps.
Since this is a gsuite account ask your admin if you have approval.  If you are the admin you can contact customer support with the number they provided when you signed up.

If this is not what you are asking, I may have misinterpreted, be sure to write back. 
Hope this helps,
Michael D
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It does work with other apps, just not Google Hangouts/meet. Permissions show that the camera is allowed for Google meet website.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same problem since yesterday. The mic and the camera does work with other apps, just not Google Hangouts/meet.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issues.  I am able to connect to a Google Hangout call using the link on my cell phone and am able to use my computer camera with other apps, just not Hangout.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same Issue here with my Alienware 15 R3 by Dell. Integrated webcam works with other programs such as Skype, the Camera App in Windows 10.
In Google meet or hangouts, it does the "camera is starting", and initiates the call without video. Up until last week it was working well. I have had meetings with my family members these days with no issues.
I tried with both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox... it doesn't work. 
All permissions are set properly to use the cam. 
I am not sure if the problem is Dell-related, or it is a Google problem, because in Chrome, the webcam doesn't work in websites like www.webcamtoy.com However, in firefox it works well. 
Any insights?

Update: It seems to be a Dell-related issue. I dusted my old Lenovo ThinkPad, and using the same Chrome version 81.0.4044.113 (Official Build) (64-bits) in both laptops, Google meet and Google hangouts work with no issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have the same issue with googlle meet. zoom and others apps seem no problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any update on this? I tried hangouts first time today on Chrome. When I opened webcam cam on no problem but when I joined someone else they could not see me, just audio. Tried turning camera off and on and just stayed in 'camera is starting' when i went to settings. Rebooted and it did the same. Next time i tried I did not get any picture of me at all just blank screen saying 'camera is starting'. Forums show this has been an issue for a *long time*.....some had success on firefox but nope.....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem. I have an Acer Aspire V, Windows 8
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I tried accessing the Google Hangout meeting via Firefox, and the camera started smoothly without any issue. Maybe it's a Chrome related issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem. HP ENVY all in one. my camera works in other programs but not on google chrome. I have also have an HP laptop and do not have this problem. All permissions are allowed and all it says is camera is starting and never turns on.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here mackbookpro os 10.14.6 Works fine with other programs and Zoom. Is stuck on camera starting.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue on a Dell laptop.  When my school started using this, the camera would work and it works on Zoom, camera works if I just open camera but not in my recent meetings. I have tried everything the help pages have shown.  The fix steps tisted on google help don't match what the screen looks like so I cannot click on a spot that is not there.  Need a fix for this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
sadly, there is no soulution.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I did uninstall Chrome and reinstall it and for now, the camera is working.  We will see if it continues to work.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with new HP Envy.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue.  Says "Camera is not found."  Was working fine until today.  Restarted multiple times.  Checked all camera settings.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same problem here can anyone help quickly because I need my camera to work in 5 days time, It works on the camera app but not on meet, i have tried restarting the laptop and reloading the page but no luck...please help :(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue. Camera doesn't work in Chrome and Microphone doesn't work in Firefox. Very odd. Checked privacy settings in Windows 10, all allowed. Any ideas on how to resolve this at all?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, I had the same problem. I opened it up in internet explorer and it prompted me to update a plug in which I did and now it works. It never did this when I opened it up in chrome.
Hope this help
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any progress on this anyone please? I've just had a meeting on Zoom and it was all fine but no joy with Google Hangouts?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same problem. I'm on a Dell too - which I see from the other comments seems to be the trend. My camera works on other sites just fine. Hopefully this gets addressed soon before we're required to use it daily. >_<
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i am facing exactly the same problem. the camera is showing that its starting but never actually starting. I have a meeting to attend tomorrow morning, can anyone help me out. I am using an HP laptop.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the exact same problem!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem. I'm a teacher and using the Google suite for class, but it either won't start the camera or the camera freezes. It's very disruptive to my class. Please help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue. Was working until yesterday morning. It now says "Camera not found"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having same issue for the past 2 days.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
mine was working fine a week ago, but now im having the same issue. google needs to fix this!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue, Acer laptop.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue. Webcam works fine, just not with Meet, which says camera connected but after a few seconds 'camera failed'. HELP!! (Using Avast browser which does have permission to use camera and mic)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please help.  Will not work on my work computer, it says camera starting but no picture
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, same problem.... I have gone back to Zoom again. Google Meet is disappointing :(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem with my Dell.

The only thing that works for me is to use Microsoft Edge.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem. The only solution I found is to use another browser. It works perfectly with Firefox for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. Camera on laptop works fine with Skype and Zoom, etc. only not with Google Meets. Kids need for school.! Just says "Camera starting", but never starts.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
having same issue with lenovo yoga laptop
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
HI, I had the same issue. I switched to Firefox and the camera (and microphone) in google meets  work in Firefox.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue. My camera stays in camera starting phase. 
I have no problem in zoom.
I have a Mac.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue. Any solutions to this?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It all began when the first Chrome OS updated to 81 and hasn't been fixed in the next update either.

All cameras in our school working until this update.  

AND yes I know you don't support managed chromebooks here but these questions still apply to us.  Try to not shut us down with links back to our paid support that have no open tickets but mine on.  Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Similar issues to everyone else. Google Meet shows Camera is Starting continuously, and it never does. It works fine for Zoom, but we are not allowed to use that for meeting with our students. I have tried all the suggestions and fixes but nothing works.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same issue Lenovo yoga laptop
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Does Google Meet work with Windows 8.1?
MEET always says CAMERA IS STARTING - but it never appears. 
PLEASE FIX THIS FOR ALL OF US!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue.  With Hangouts and Meet, the camera just sits in the loading phase....on Chrome.  I can open Hangouts or Meet in Explorer and have the camera load just fine (Others have said they opened in Firefox fine too).   Lenovo laptop. 

So solution:  Use Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers.... never thought I would say that.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue! I have tried all the steps, but no help. Stopped working all of a sudden, i have used the steps here - https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/1355579?hl=en

does not work. Works fine on Edge, Firefox and IE. but not on Chrome. Whats going on here?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What is happening here! Is even google even listening?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks but nothing worked
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, I had the same problem. I opened it up in internet explorer and it prompted me to update a plug in which I did and now it works. It never did this when I opened it up in chrome.
Hope this helps.  This solution was posted by A Hanna.  It worked for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My camera has stopped working in google meet, same as others, it works in other forums, just no longer googlemeet
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, works fine on Zoom, but not on Google Meet.
I run a Nationwide charity and need this to work so I can communicate with my team.
Please get it fixed!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
still not function after settings changed and computer restarted several times.
Webcam worked well with Zoom and Webex meetings.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi all - I just found a way to get my camera to work in meets - not sure it worked in all the others without changing the setting. I searched "camera" on my laptop and found the place where I had the overall camera setting set up as "off"  Even though that was the case, the camera does come on in all the other meeting apps - just not in 'Meets". So, now that I know how to make it work, I plan to reset my camera to the "off" position for everything - unless I need to use Meets!  At least that seems to work for me for now. Maybe they can fix the issue so we don't have to jump through that type of "hoop"  :-)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem.  Persistent status "camera is starting".  I'm using Lonovo Yoga 2 with Chrome.  My camera works fine with Zoom every day but Meet is not working.  Please fix or your new videoconf app will flop again!  Don't blame the user!

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i think this problem related to chrome because when I use firefox, I could fix the problem.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ditto, used Firefox and worked right away.  Definitely a Chrome issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had this issue using Firefox (on linux) didn't try any other browser.

I ended up following the meeting on my phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same problem on Friday. My camera failed during one Google meet and then it would fail every time I tried to log in.  I went to the fix site and I tried this and it worked:
Open Google Meets and click the lock next to URL web address window.  Check that the Camera is allow.  Change it to Ask for Access and then reload webpage. When the dialog box requests access say allow. My camera now works. Hope this helps!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
HI, I have no add ons and the "camera getting ready" keeps happening at different times.  AND without touching anything, as I am in the meet without camera on because I keep seeing "camera getting ready" - then by itself, like someone has remote control over my computer and in the meet, the icon which was white (but no actual video camera working) goes red.   ANd then it goes back to white (still not actual camera working) -BY ITSELF.  I am not making a joke or kidding.  It happens on it's own.  THe camera NEVER ends up working.  I leave the meet and rejoin.  I get out of the email from whence I launched (I have to launch within our uni email) and rejoin but the camera doesn't work.  I finish the meet and leave the meeting.  Start another google meet and the camera works.. Back and forth.  Works doesn't work.  DId all the checks in settings - on this page https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7380413  and still this problem occurs.  
The green light is on indicating the facetime camera is working sometimes STAYS on after I leave the Google Meet and close out the tab.  I have shut down chrome, log out to get the facetime camera to turn off.  Something isn't right.  There must be hacking of some sort going on.  PLEASE can you fix this.  

I am on a mac. 10.1.3.6 High Sierra   Chrome is updated, no add ons ..  please give a fix for this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same "Camera is starting" problem. It clearly identifies the camera, but just never loads up. The Mic, which is also through the webcam only works 50% of the time. Im using my desktop PC, with Logitech HD C910 webcam. Works perfectly with Zoom, Microsoft teams, just Google meet is the only issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Exact same issue with my Lenovo X1 Carbon.  My camera and mic work great with other apps.  When I bring up an invitation, it says that my integrated camera is connected, but then just says "camera is starting" and I'm looking at a black video screen. I've toggled the camera permissions on the security settings for Google Meet countless times. I also tried deleting and reinstalling Chrome.  That didn't help either.  I also can't present now. Whenever I try to share a screen now, it won't share with the other folks and there is no option for stopping the sharing process once I start it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Experiencing the same issue with Lenovo Yoga Pro running windows 8.1.  Video camera works fine with Zoom and other apps.  But in Google Meet just get the message "camera is starting".   Have downloaded latest version of Chrome but made no difference.  Permissions are granted and video access is granted.  Can't log my kid into his class meets.  Really need a fix for this Google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue since this morning. Running the latest version of Chrome on a Razor 13"- camera works for other apps (WebEx, zoom), but not google meets. what is the fix please?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
IT WORKS IN OTHER APPS
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
And I thought I was the only one with this problem!  It seems to be a long running issue.  I use this same laptop (Vaio) with Facetime and Zoom and all works perfectly.  A few weeks ago, all was working for Google Meet as well, then a couple of weeks ago, I could see and hear everyone else, but my camera was not working.  I got the "camera is starting' message but it never actually started.  In trying to trouble shoot the camera issue today, I have now lost the microphone and can only communicate in my school staff meetings using the chat box!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue. My camera works with other apps...just not Google Meet. It says camera is off, camera is starting, then camera has failed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mine also was just showing "camera is starting" and never worked with chrome. It works with Microsoft Edge browser. I have an MSI laptop.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello Google, no answer as many is having the issues here!!??
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Help . i have same problem hereee
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have same problem, the cam works everywhere except on meet
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Are there any signs that someone is doing something in order to fix this??
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
having the same issue sincs the other day
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
On Firefox, everything is working fine - It's probably a Chrome issue, but I can't understand why its not being addressed
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same issue whereby the camera was starting but it never went further than that on Google Meet.  It ended up being an issue with my PC security software, which has webcam protection, as Google was blocked.  After unblocking Google, everything was ok.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue with dell computer and other apps works well (zoom, skype). Anybody  has solve their problem?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
In my case didn't worked in Google Chrome but worked in Firefox
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same wrong problem. You guys should try going to chrome settings, click accessibility and turn off the hardware acceleration. My webcam starting working after that. Hope this helps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
my camera also not working in meet app.I tried a lot but does work
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have updated google chrome but still my webcam not working " it keeps showing camera is starting". I switch to other web browser - Firefox and it works. Probably something wrong with google chrome.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same.  It worked a couple days ago and now it will not. (Same as everyone else... Zoom/ other apps/ my camera itself = fine)   I went over to Explorer, logged into my google account, and opened a Google Meet.  Must be Chrome.  Still, I'd prefer to use Chrome...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
you the best men, greetings from Argentina!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue. Camera and mic work fine in zoom, skype, etc, but in google meets always just says it is starting. I tried to follow Renzo Hernandez suggestion but when I open my camera and mic permissions, there is not an option to give destop app permission?? Google meets has permission to use them. How do I find the option to give google chrome permission?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue; it worked a few minutes ago, and then stop working.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
apparently EVERYONE here is having this issue, which appeared on this thread since 22/04 - Google Meet dev isn't replying at all.....

anyone so far with any solutions?? educational platforms need this urgently for kids interactions. thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi guys, I was with the same problem, I'm running Google Chrome on Windows 10 at Lenovo notebook. All you have to do is allow other apps to access your Microphone on Windows Privacy Settings, as show at picture. I hope that was helpful. Sorry for bad english.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've had this problem with Hangouts for a year, and now with Meets. Lenovo Yoga, W10. Same problem with Firefox or Chrome. Tried all the solutions suggested... no luck. People in other forums with the same problem in Hangouts were screaming for Google to solve it... no reply. Now they've introduced a new product, Meets... same problem, same lack of response. I think they have no intention of fixing it. I use Skype, Zoom, Whatsapp, GoTo Meeting, etc all without any problem. My solution?... give up, use a different app. It works for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just solved it. This might be due to camera blocked by some internet security solution installed on your laptop like kaspersky. Allow camera to be used by chrome in kaspersky setting and you should be good to go. Privacy protection --> webcam protection --> webcam access is blocked for <n> applications--> then choose allow webcam for your browser.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem for me too - after displaying "Camera Starting" in the video window the video window goes to black.  However, if I click the camera icon twice, the first of which causes "camera off" to be displayed in the video window, and the second makes the camera wake right up.  The camera icon now appears just as it did after "camera starting" - active.  But, now everything works.  

This does not happen on Firefox or Opera.  Edge just says Google Meet won't run on it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here! Any solution yet?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same issue dell has some grudges i guess
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
In my case it was being blocked by my Kaspersky antivirus software.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
on Google chrome camera is not starting but on mozilla its working i checked every setting every where camera is on but its only showing "CAMERA IS STARTING"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having just the same problem, my camera works perfect with other apps, but not with this one, I try everything with no results. I have a Dell too.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem and NO RESPONSE FROM GOOGLE??!?!?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
my camera is not starting when i start google meet
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
it wont work
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here, from a Lenovo laptop.
Camera works for all other apps except for Meet. Tried it on Firefox and it doesn't work either, it gets stuck in "camera is starting". 
Also tried denying camera permit, erasing all Meet configuration, and granting all permits again several times. 
I'm using an enterprise Google account and I hadn't had any problems before.
I even deactivated my antivirus and I granted all permits for Windows to use my camera. 
Nothing works.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm using a 10 year old Dell.  Camera can't be found in Firefox, Chrome or IE. Worked fine until less than a week ago.  If I fiddle with things for a while, suddenly the cameras found.  Not sure what thing I did (if any) got it working again.  However, a few hours later Meet is again saying can't find the camer.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The Camera on my Toshiba laptop was working fine with Google Meet until a few weeks ago. Now it is stuck in "Camera is Starting" mode. Works fine with MS Teams or Zoom. Can't think of anything new I have installed or uninstalled.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just downloaded Firefox and tried iGoogle Meet with success, so this is definitely a Google Chrome issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is promising! Will try downloading Firefox now, fingers crossed! This issue is causing me so much hassle in relation with work and teaching online!

Solution : finally!! It works!! Yup, Google Chrome browser problem. Downloaded Firefox and it works no problem. Unbelievable that this issue has been going on so long on Chrome.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had the same problem using Firefox. I switched to Google Chrome and the camera worked perfectly. Bizarre.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I found the reason for this issue.. issues with type of PC we are using, because same google meet account i tried in another laptop it works well
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have the same problem.  I have a mic+webcam setup, it has always worked in zoom, but is not working with Meet and not now with Hangouts, in Firefox. It is allowed in Permissions.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue with a twist. I am not on a Lenovo, I am on a Macbook but using this external webcam. Like everyone else, I get the "Camera is starting" message and all other video apps work fine. My built in webcam works fine. Occasionally something will happen where my video will start working but my sound cuts out. I have replicated this on two Macbooks, although one after a few weeks mysteriously started working with no further issues.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue "Camera is starting" but never starts. 
The camera is allowed in the site settings.
Webcam works fine other programs. 
Acer Windows.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
facing this very same issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
this is rather disappointing. So many people are not able to get their camera to work, and have explicitly stated it is a Google Meet specific issues , i.e. the camera works fine on zoom etc.

Is there any other channel we can reach the technical people on Google?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue. I have tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer. On Firefox, the camera stayed in the "camera is starting" phase and never turned on but I had audio only. Next Google Meet, I used Internet Explorer and the camera went on and off during the entire meet. All audio/video tests work fine and Zoom meetings work fine as well. Does the issue have something to do with a busy line or traffic?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have 3 Dell computers....win 8 , win 7 and win 10 camera works on all of them but the win 8. It works fine on other apps just the google meet having trouble.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My anti virus was blocking chrome from accessing camera. After I modified permissions in my antivirus the problem got solved
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank brother..this helped me.
marked this as an answer