You can send messages during a video call to the other video call guests from a computer or mobile device.
- If you join a conference room using Google meeting room hardware, you can view the messages, but not send.
- Messages are visible to everyone in the call.
- You can only view the chat messages exchanged when you're on the video call. Messages sent before you joined are not displayed, and all messages disappear when you leave the video call.
- Important: When meetings are recorded the chat conversation log is also saved.
Send a chat message during a video call
- Open the Meet app .
- Join a video call.
- On the bottom right, tap More .
- Tap In call messages .
Tip: If you share a file via the chat and want participants to edit it, make sure you give participants edit access.
Google Workspace for Education users
Prevent participants from sending chat messages in a video call
Meeting organizers can stop participants from sending chat messages. Participants will still be able to read the messages.
If you turn chat messages off in recurring meetings or meetings that use the same meeting code, the setting will be saved for the next scheduled meeting. If you turn chat messages off in a one-time, nicknamed, or instant meeting, the chat message setting will turn on after the meeting ends.
Turn chat messages on or off
- In a meeting, tap the screen Menu .
- Tap Meeting safety .
- On the bottom, turn Send chat messages on or off.