Quota for map loads and hosted data Updated!
Maps Engine provides quota for the amount of hosted data you upload for map making as well as the number of access requests made by users and developers. Free online Maps Engine projects come with limited amounts of hosted data and access. Maps for Work customers can purchase additional quota to meet their needs.
How map loads are calculated
A map load is a unit of charge that triggers when a user accesses a published asset (map, layer, data), using a supported client such as the Maps Engine viewer, Google Earth, or GIS clients consuming Maps Engine WMS. For details on supported clients, see How users can view your maps and Programmatic access to maps and layers.
These events cause Maps Engine to charge your account for one map load:
- Viewing a map.
Only one map load is charged when a user accesses a map in Google Earth or the Maps Engine viewer, regardless of the number of layers in the map. Turning individual layers on and off does not incur additional charges for a given map. An additional map load is charged every 60 minutes during the session.
- Accessing an individual layer using the Maps API.
When a Maps API application uses the visualization library’s MapsEngineLayer class to access a map by its map ID and layer key, one map load is charged.
When a Maps API application uses the visualization library's MapsEngineLayer class to request a specific layer in a Maps Engine map, one map load is charged for each layer ID requested. An additional map load is charged every 60 minutes during the session.
- Making read and write requests using the Maps Engine API.
For every read and write request made by a Maps Engine API application, one-tenth of a map load is charged. For example, for every 10 read requests made by a Google Maps Engine API application, one map load is charged. See the Google Maps Engine API documentation.
These events do not currently affect the map load count:
- Geocoding. (This is an experimental feature. See Geocoding addresses in CSV files.)
- Accessing a map in My Maps Mobile.
- Accessing a layer in the Android or iOS MapsEngineLayer SDK.
When are map loads free?
The following events are free:
- Viewing a published map in the Google Maps Gallery. Currently, you must explicitly submit maps to the gallery if you want them to be displayed there. In the future, any maps shared as "public on the web" may also be displayed in the Maps Gallery.
- Creating, styling, and viewing assets within the Maps Engine application.
How hosted data usage is calculated
The Hosted Data percentage indicates the amount of data that you've uploaded in relation to the total quota. The measurement is based on what you upload rather than the size of the uncompressed data, so if you can use a compressed format to upload, you'll conserve hosted data quota.
You can delete data to free additional space.
When you reach your quota
When you exceed your map load quota, Google stops serving your maps and responding to Google Maps Engine API queries. When you exceed your hosted data quota, Maps Engine no longer allows you to upload data.
Here's what to do when your limits have been exceeded:
- If you're a map creator, contact your Maps Engine administrator.
- If you're an administrator and want to buy additional quota, contact your Google sales representative. If you need an emergency service restoration, the Support team can help. Log into the Google for Work support portal and create a case, copying your sales representative if you have the appropriate name.
Maps Engine dashboard
The following image highlights the important parts of the Maps Engine dashboard. Note that the map list and accompanying usage graph show 10 pages at a time, but some of the usage totals are for the complete set of maps for this account (all pages).
Project usage statistics
Administrators can monitor map use and hosted data status using the statistics shown in the lower-left corner of the Maps Engine window. This listing also shows the type of Maps Engine project you're viewing (Maps Engine or Maps Engine for Work):
Maps Engine for Work project: no time limit Quota usage as of May 24, 2014 10:16 Map loads: 2,541 of 50,000,000 (0%) Hosted data: 5.18GB of 200GB (2%)
If you move the mouse over the line showing the project type, you can also view the project ID.
Map loads: The map loads usage shows all map use, including API use.
Hosted data: After you've added or deleted data, you'll see the new Hosted Data usage numbers within 2 to 10 minutes. The numbers refresh more slowly for bulk deletions than for other operations.