Learn more about Google Maps COVID-19 updates.

/maps/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Unable to remove saved location from "starred places"
I have a yellow pin stuck on my map that I can not remove.

At first it displayed on all of my devices. If I tried to remove it from the web version of Google Maps it would not remove. However when I tried removing it from the Google Maps iOS app, I was able to remove it and it no longer displays on my phone. However in the web version it still displays. When I try to remove it, it acts as if its been removed from my "starred places" list, but once I click off of it or refresh the map, it comes back again. I have tried signing out/back in, cleaning my cache/cookies, and even trying a completely different browser. The saved place won't go away!

I see many other posts in this community but the purposed solutions no longer work. For example, when I try to edit the list (three dots > edit list) it does not show there, so I can't remove it. Also re-saving it and clicking "undo" no longer works as there is no longer an undo option in the notification that appears at the bottom of the screen.

I'm not sure if it helps, but the pin/place in question is not an address but rather a pair of coordinates such as: +28.686758-041.6796758 (those are not the actual numbers since it leads to a family members house, in this example it leads to the ocean)

Please advise how this stuck location can be removed when it does not show up in my list.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (19)
Relevant Answer
Hi, Scott Schramm

Welcome to Google Maps Community Support Forum & thanks for your post.

However, sorry to note you can't remove a starred place.

Nevertheless, can you try the following?

Click on the starred place through the list.

That will take you to the Maps view.
There, adjacent to directions, you will find "Saved" and a remark below "Saved in Starred places".

Click on the saved & next click on the list name. The tick there should go off.

Additionally, can you have a look at the link https://bookmarks.google.com? 
Although that link says "Google Bookmarks is no longer a supported product", that still allows exporting the existing bookmarks & deleting all. 

Today, I could delete all my bookmarks aka, starred places, through that link. 
Can you try that? However, ensure to export the bookmarks before going for "Delete all".

----------

PS: In this peer support forum, volunteers answer the queries.
The volunteers are users of Google Maps like anyone.

Google employees or representatives aren't reading the posts, usually.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
> Click on the starred place through the list.
The saved placed does not show up in any list, it only shows on the map.

> Click on the saved & next click on the list name. The tick there should go off.
If I click on the marker in the map, it opens in the sidebar. If I click on the "saved" button it does open the drop down with the list names. If I uncheck the saved places list, it looks as if its no longer saved (the icon is no longer bold/solid yellow and instead is just an outline indicating its not saved) however once you click off it the place, somewhere else on the map, or refresh it, the place shows saved again and the marker stays on the map.

> Additionally, can you have a look at the link https://bookmarks.google.com?
It does not show here. It only shows on the map.

> Today, I could delete all my bookmarks aka, starred places, through that link. Can you try that?
I downloaded all my saved places. The place in question does not show in the export. I am not deleting all of my saved places in hopes that this stuck place is removed as well.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,  Scott Schramm

Thanks for your reply

Does clicking the option "Hide on your map" make some change?
Does that hide rest all the places but keep this one visible?

Further, I understand you do not want to disclose the exact location to protect your privacy.
However, to suggest some further actions, it would be helpful to have a look at the screenshots.

Can you try masking the surrounding & upload the screenshots?
Let that show, the saved tab remains unchecked even when a star is visible on the Map.

That will make the problem clear.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hiding all of the stared locations from the map does make it go away, however the place in question is not shown in the list, so I can't remove it.

Here is a short clip of me clicking the pin in question, un-saving it, clicking off it it, and then showing the pin is still there: https://i.imgur.com/iDxiCas.mp4
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,  Scott Schramm

Thanks for your reply

#1 First, after clicking on "remove from starred places" only once & then wait for twenty-four hours to check whether that has worked.

#2 Next, what happens when you click on any other starred place?
Does that vanish instantly & only this one remains sticky?

#3 Further, the starred place is not visible in the Maps app on your iOS device.
However, the Star remains visible in all different browsers on your desktop (Google Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Safari etc.). Is that correct?
Have you tried viewing the map on some different desktops?

#4 Alternatively, when you open Maps through https://maps.google.com through any browser on your iOS device, log into your account, then, do you see the starred place through that?
Can you inform?  
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
> #1 First, after clicking on "remove from starred places" only once & then wait for twenty-four hours to check whether that has worked.
Did not work

> #2 Next, what happens when you click on any other starred place?
Does that vanish instantly & only this one remains sticky?
Other starred places can be removed just fine, only this one is stuck.

> #3 Further, the starred place is not visible in the Maps app on your iOS device.
However, the Star remains visible in all different browsers on your desktop (Google Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Safari etc.). Is that correct?
Have you tried viewing the map on some different desktops?
 I have also tried multiple browsers among different computers, I've also tested between a Mac and PC and the issue is present in all desktop browsers.

> #4 Alternatively, when you open Maps through https://maps.google.com through any browser on your iOS device, log into your account, then, do you see the starred place through that?
Can you inform? 
The Google Maps app on iOS does not have the issue. However, if I use Google Maps within Safari on the same iOS device, the issue is present.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,  Scott Schramm

Thanks for your reply

In the opening post, you mentioned the starred place is a pair of coordinates. That's neither an address nor a POI.
Since you saved the coordinates, are these a part of any other lists "Labelled", "Want to go", "Favourites", etc.?
Can you check once again?

Further, did you share the list with someone through the mobile app?
My finding is when I share a list with someone with editing rights & the recipient saves the list, my deleting action doesn't produce any effect.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I checked all lists for the coordinates and its not in any of the lists.

I should explain that I originally saved the coordinates because google maps did not have the correct location when I searched for the address (the marker was several houses away). I did a "suggest and edit" and moved the marker to the correct location, and eventually Google fixed the pin for the address to show up on the correct house, but the saved pin on my map is for the coordinates and that is what I could not removed.

Strangely today I checked and FINALLY the pin is gone! However this problem is still NOT resolved.
I searched for the address this time and and the pin showed on the correct house. I saved it under my "Favorites" list this time (since I don't use that list for anything else). I then tried to un-save it and it gave me the same behavior as before....the icon in the sidebar changed from the solid colored icon showing it was saved to the outlined blank icon showing it was not saved, but the pin on the map remained even after refreshing the page. I then went into my Favorites list and it shows my that the list was entry, yet you can still see the pink and white heart on my map:
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,  Scott Schramm

Thanks for your reply

However, surprised to note the star vanished bit the sticky behaviour is now in the favourites list.

Do you remember the actions you took before the star vanished?
Can you replicate those for the favourites also?

Additionally, is the favourites visible in the mobile app?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well the good news is after clearing out all of the starred places in the list, giving it a few days, they have disappeared from the map, so it appears part of the issue may* be a cache thing on the servers.  But happy to say that they have finally disappeared from my map.  One thing to note - I used the legacy google bookmarks site to clear out all of the starred places.  After a couple days the frozen stars are now gone from the map. Be sure to first mark your starred places under a different list (I made a custom places list) before you do that as it will remove all starred places.

Hope this helps others.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/maps/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic