If you’re sharing your location with someone, Google Maps will periodically refresh your position on the map. This ensures that the person you're sharing with gets an accurate, up-to-date sense of where you are.
You’ll sometimes see a message at the top of your screen or in your list of notifications letting you know your location has been updated.
Reduce how often you see this notification
There are ways to make sure your location is updating in the background. This will make the notification appear less often.
Keep Google Maps running
Avoid closing Google Maps by swiping it away in the app switcher. This makes your phone shut down the application and keeps it from updating correctly.
Check for errors
- On your device, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap your profile picture or initial Location sharing.
- If there are problems, you'll see a warning message at the top of the screen.
Turn this notification off
Important: If you turn these notifications off, the location you're sharing with others may not be refreshed, and is likely to become inaccurate.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap your profile picture or initial Settings Notifications.
- Turn Location updates off.
Learn more about how to turn Google Maps notifications on or off.