You can turn on notifications in the Google Maps app and see things that interest you, like train schedules or traffic on routes you travel often.
Turn notifications on or off
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
- Tap Notifications Google Maps .
- Turn on Allow Notifications.
To turn on a notification, like when to leave for an event, follow the steps below.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap your profile picture or initial Settings Notifications.
- Turn on a notification: Next to the notification, turn on the switch.
- Turn off a notification: Next to the notification, turn off the switch.
Notifications you might see
Here are some types of notifications you might see from Google Maps:
Prompts to add photos of places that you've visited
You might get notifications to add a photo you’ve taken in public places that Google thinks are interesting to other people, like restaurants and bars.
Before posting a photo, make sure that it follows Google's user content policy. Your photos should also meet these guidelines:
Be in focus and not blurry
Show what most people experience, like the food or the ambiance
Not be a selfie or a group photo
Note: To get these notifications, enable the permission for Google to check for photos. Google only gets the location data from the photo's metadata.
Note: To get these notifications, you need to turn on Location History.