Steps to report wrong directions
If you got the wrong directions to a place, you can tell us which step was incorrect.
Note: You can only report wrong directions in some countries and regions.
Report wrong directions
- On your computer, open Google Maps.
- Click Directions .
- Enter the starting point and destination for the route for which your directions were wrong.
- On the left, click on a route description for step-by-step directions.
- In the bottom right of the map, click Send feedback.
Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you can't report wrong directions.
How Maps chooses a routeTraffic incidents and travel estimates
Maps uses information from two places to show traffic conditions and to choose a route:
- Anonymous data from your phone: If location data collection is turned on, your phone will send bits of anonymous data to Google. This shows your location and helps us pinpoint traffic jams. Maps uses this information to give you the best route and estimate travel times. Travel times, among other sources, are made by using location data from the past and present.
- Partners: Traffic and incident data is licensed to Google from partners like governments, non-profits, schools, and businesses. Learn more about who partners with Google.
How your data is anonymous
Your privacy is taken very seriously. We combine anonymous data from your phone and other phones so no one can point out your device. And your starting point and destination is permanently deleted so even Google can’t see it.
Google Maps gets information to update the map from two sources:
- People who use Maps: People who use Google Maps can let us know when they find problems.
- Partners: Map data is licensed to Google from partners like governments, non-profits, schools, and businesses. Learn more about who partners with Google.