If you got the wrong directions in Google Maps, you can tell us which step was incorrect. You can report wrong directions for any transportation mode except Transit .
Report a wrong step
- On your computer, open Google Maps.
- Click Directions .
- Enter the starting point and destination for the directions that were wrong.
- In the left panel, click on the route you want to report an issue with.
- Click Details.
- In plain text at the bottom right of the map, click Send feedback.
- Next to the wrong step, click the Flag .
Tip: For some routes, you may need to expand the directions on the left before you select which directions are wrong.
- Select the type of problem, then click Submit.
How Maps chooses a routeTraffic incidents & travel estimates
Maps uses information from 2 places to show traffic conditions and to choose a route:
- Anonymous data from your phone: If location data collection is turned on, your phone sends bits of anonymous data to Google. This shows your location and helps us pinpoint traffic jams. Maps uses this information to give you the best route and estimate travel times. Travel times are estimated based on location data from the past and present and other sources.
- Partners: Traffic and incident data is licensed to Google from partners like governments, non-profits, schools, and businesses. Learn more about who partners with Google.
How your data is anonymous
We take your privacy very seriously. We combine anonymous data from your phone and other phones so no one can point out your device. Also, your starting point and destination is permanently deleted so even Google can’t find it.
Google Maps gets information to update the map from 2 sources:
- People who use Maps: People who use Google Maps can let us know when they find problems.
- Partners: Map data is licensed to Google from partners like governments, non-profits, schools, and businesses. Learn more about who partners with Google.