Turn Google Maps notifications on or off
You can turn on notifications in the Google Maps app and see things that interest you, like train schedules or traffic on routes you travel often.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap the Menu Settings Notifications.
- Tap a category.
- Turn on a notification: Next to the notification, turn on the switch.
- Turn off a notification: Next to the notification, turn off the switch.
Notifications you might see
Here are some types of notifications you might see from Google Maps:
You might get notifications to add a photo you’ve taken in public places that Google thinks are interesting to other people, like restaurants and bars.
You might also get a notification when you are at a place where you can be the first to add a photo .
Before posting a photo, make sure that it follows Google's user content policy. Your photos should also meet these guidelines:
- Be in focus and not blurry
- Show what most people experience, like the food or the ambience
- Not be a selfie or a group photo
You might get notifications to answer a question about a place or business you visited.
Note: To get these notifications, you need to turn on Location History.
You get notifications about nearby events or road closures when Google Maps thinks it might affect a route that you travel often.
If we know about a scheduled event, you’ll get an alert ahead of time so you can plan an alternate route. For example, if there is a concert on your way home from work, you might get a notification one day before the concert.
Tip: To help you plan around events, tap Get a Reminder and Google Maps will remind you about the event closer to when it starts.