Get directions with your home and work address
Get home or get to work easily with Google Maps. Save your home or work addresses to use in search or directions on your computer or mobile. Make sure you're signed in with your Google Account.
Set your home and work addresses
- Open Google Maps and make sure you’re signed in.
- Type "home" or "work" into the search box.
- Click set location next to the search result that appears below the search box.
If you don't see the "set location" link, see alternate instructions at the bottom of this page.
- Type in your home or work address, then press Enter.
Use home and work in search or directions
When you search for a place on the map, you'll automatically see how close it is to your home or work. Travel time will appear next to the place.
Or, enter your directions manually
- Search for a place.
- Click Directions below the search box. The place will appear as your destination.
If you don't see the Directions button, see alternate instructions at the bottom of this page.
- Click either Home or Work for your starting point. The directions will appear on the map.
- To reverse your starting point and destination, click the arrows.
You can also type "home" or "work" into the directions fields to use one as a starting point or destination.
Note: Web & App Activity must be turned on to use “home" and "work" in search and directions. If you don't see home and work in Maps, you may have Web & App Activity turned off. You can still visit your places on classic maps to update these places.
If the instructions above didn't work, you might be on the classic version of Maps. Follow these alternate instructions:Set your home and work addresses on the classic Google Maps
Add your home and work addresses
- Open Google Maps and click My places.
- Make sure you're signed-in to your Google Account.
- Click Set home location or Set work location.
- Type the address into the box.
- Click Save.
To edit or delete either of these saved addresses, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the home or work icon and select either Edit or Delete.
If you delete your home or work, you won’t be able to use the terms “home” or “work” in search or directions. And, you won’t see home and work icons on the map anymore.
You can access your home or work by simply using the terms “home” or “work” in Maps search or directions. Google Maps will display your home or work address as an option in the drop-down suggestions so that you won’t need to type in your full address.
If you use Google Maps for Android or iPhone, you can use these saved places easily for directions and search on the go.
Laura is a Google Maps expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.