Search on Google Maps
You can search for all kinds of things, like businesses or types of places, using Google Maps.
- On your computer, open Google Maps.
- Type your search.
- Press Enter or click the search icon .
- Optional: If you search for a type of place, like restaurants, you can filter your results using the drop-down menus below the search box.
Search results appear as red and yellow markers on the map. The larger icons show top results.
See the entire map
To see the entire map, hide the search box and side panel. To hide the panel, go to the right of the panel and click the arrow .See an example
Hide the panel
Show the panel
More about searches and resultsWays to search and filter
Here are some examples of searches on Google Maps:
- Specific businesses:
- Types of places:
coffee near central park. Narrow your search by using the filter drop-down menus in the results card. Learn how to search nearby.
- Address, city, state, country, or airport:
Los Angeles Airport, or
Mount Everest, Nepal.
- Latitude and longitude coordinates:
41.40338, 2.17403. Learn how to use latitude and longitude coordinates.
- Friends and other contacts:
Alex Cooperor other names of people in your Google Contacts.
You'll see different filtering options depending on the type of place you search for. Here are a few examples:
- Price: Search based on cost of the restaurant.
- Open now: See only places that are currently open for business.
- Hotel information: Like check-in dates and star rating class, like 3 stars or 5 stars.
Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you can't use these options to filter search results.
To get more information about a place, do one of the following:
- Click a place icon on the map.
- Search for a specific place.
On the left, you'll see information about the place. This might include: address, hours of operation, phone number, website, and ratings or reviews.
To view all photos, click Photos.
To see reviews, look under the search box.
- Read all reviews: Click reviews.
- Review a place: Click Write a review.
To add your own photo of a place to Google Maps, scroll to the end of the photos and click Add a photo. Learn more about adding photos.
Note:If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you can't add a photo.