Make Maps load faster
If Google Maps is slow to load, or just isn’t loading at all, there are a few things you can try:
Switch to Lite mode
If you're using Google Maps and it seems slow, try switching to the Lite Mode of Google Maps.
Restart your computer and browser
Often, Google Maps will load more quickly after you restart your computer or browser, like Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.
Update your computer and browser
Make sure that your computer and browser meet the Maps system requirements. If you see a "Lite mode" link in the bottom right corner of the map, you need to update your computer's operating system or browser.
If none of the solutions above worked, try adjusting your browser settings or downloading software that improves your computer graphics.Add Google Maps as a trusted site
If you use Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari, you might need to adjust your browser settings to get Maps to work properly.Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and above:
- Go to Google Maps.
- Click Tools > Page Info.
- Click the Permissions tab.
- Under “Access your location,” uncheck the box and select either “Allow” or “Always ask.”
Firefox 3.1 and below:
- Go to Google Maps.
- Click Tools > Gears Settings.
- Next to
maps.google.com, click Remove.
- Open Safari and click Safari in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Preferences > Privacy > Prompt for each website one time only.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools > Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab.
- Select the "Trusted sites" icon, then click Sites.
- Uncheck the box next to "Require server verification for all sites in this zone."
- Next to “Add this Web site to the zone,” type
maps.google.comand click Add.
- Repeat step 6 to add the following sites:
- Click OK, then click OK again to save your changes.
Installing the latest version of DirectX, a software that improves visuals on your computer, could help Maps load more quickly. To install DirectX, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113.
In order for things like Street View to work, you need the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. To install Flash, visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions.
Laura is a Google Maps expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.