Review and photo policies
Whether you're going to a place or you own one, you want ratings, reviews, photos, and recommendations that are helpful and trustworthy. Reviewing a place and adding your own photos are great ways to share both positive and negative opinions. But please follow the policies listed below when writing your review and adding a photo.Review content policies
We’ll remove content that violates any of the content policies below:
- Advertising: Don’t use reviews for advertising, such as adding links to other websites or phone numbers. Reviews should be a genuine reflection of your experience with a place - don't post reviews just to manipulate a place's ratings.
- Spam: Please don’t spam. Write a genuine report of your experience with the place. Don't include promotional / commercial content, don't post the same content multiple times and don't write reviews for the same place from multiple accounts.
- Phone numbers or URLs: To help prevent advertising and spammy reviews, we don’t allow phone numbers or links to other websites in reviews. If you want to add an updated number or URL for the business you’re reviewing, use the Report a problem link to report that information instead.
- Off-topic reviews: Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience, or that are not about the specific place you’re reviewing. Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary or personal rants. Wrong location or the place is closed? Use the Report a problem link to report that information instead of writing a review.
- Keep it clean: Don’t use obscene, profane, or offensive language. We’ll also remove reviews that represent personal attacks on others.
- Conflict of interest: Reviews are most valuable when they are honest and unbiased. If you own or work at a place, please don’t review your own business or employer. Don’t offer or accept money, products, or services to write reviews for a business or to write negative reviews about a competitor. If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.
- Illegal content: Don’t post reviews that contain or link to unlawful content, like links that facilitate the sale of prescription drugs without a prescription.
- Copyrighted content: Don't post reviews that infringe others' rights - including copyright. For more information or to file a DMCA request, review our copyright procedures.
- Sexually Explicit Material: We don't allow reviews that contain sexually explicit material. Also, we absolutely don’t allow reviews that sexually exploit children or present them in a sexual manner. For this type of content, we'll remove the review, shut down the account, and send a report to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) and law enforcement.
- Impersonation: Don’t post reviews on behalf of others or misrepresent your identity or connection with the place you’re reviewing.
- Personal and confidential information: Don’t post reviews that contain another person’s personal and confidential information, including credit card information, government identification number, driver’s license information, etc.
- Hate Speech: We don't allow reviews that advocate against groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Not sure what to write? Get some tips for writing great reviews.
Adding relevant photos and videos help others discover the places that are just right for them. Make the best photos and videos by following these tips:
- Keep it relevant. Photographs are a great way to share your experience with a business in an artistic, evocative way, but please make sure your photograph or video is about the relevant business page. We will remove photos that are not related to the business.
- Pictures are worth 1000 words. Try to make your pictures more images than text. While uploading a photo of the menu or the storefront would be permitted, other users might want to see the photo you took of the delicious cheesecake.
- Quality over quantity. As best as you can, upload high quality photos or videos. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated, or too dark may be removed.
We reserve the right to both remove photographs and videos that violate our content policy, and suspend business owners who upload such media. Photos or videos that violate our content policy might contain:
- Illegal content
- Violations of copyright
- Trademark infringement
- Incitement of violence
- Promotion of hate
- Invasion of privacy
Photos that are uploaded to business pages should also be relevant to the business represented by the page. Specifically they should:
- Not be merely text, unless it is relevant to the place. For example, the menu of a restaurant or a photo of the storefront with large fonts would be permitted.
- Not be copyrighted, unless uploaded with permission of the copyright owner
- Be of respectable quality. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated, or too dark may be removed.
Red the full terms of service for images and videos uploaded to Google Maps.
Laura is a Google Maps expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.