Give Maps permission to use your location
If you can't center the map on your location, a couple of things might be going on. It’s possible you denied Google Maps access to your location in the past, or your browser might have an error.
Give Maps permission
To center the map where you are, you'll need to give Maps permission to get your location.Chrome
- Open Chrome.
- On the browser toolbar, click the Chrome menu .
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
- In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the "Location" section. Select your default permission for future location requests:
- Allow all sites to track your physical location: Select this option to give Maps and all other sites access your location.
- Ask when a site tries to track your physical location: Select this option if you want Google Chrome to alert you whenever a site requests your location. Next time you open Maps, click "Allow" in the notification bar that appears at the top of your screen.
- Click Done.
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and above
- While on maps.google.com, click the lock icon to the left of the URL in the top bar.
- Click More information....
- Click the "Permissions" tab.
- Underneath the "Access Your Location" heading, click the "Allow" button.
Mozilla Firefox 3.1 and below
- Open Firefox.
- Click Tools > Gears Settings
- Click Remove next to the country version of Maps that you use (such as maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk).
- Open Safari.
- In the top right corner of your computer, click Safari then click Preferences.
- Click Privacy, then click Prompt for each website one time only.
- Return to the version of Maps that you use, like maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk. To center the map on your location, click . If prompted, check the box named “Remember by decision and don’t ask me again” and click Allow.
You might might be prompted to change your location settings on your computer before you can turn them on for Safari. To do this:
- Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy Preferences > Privacy > Location Services.
- To allow for changes, click the lock in the bottom left.
- Check "Enable Location Services".
- Open Internet Explorer.
- On the browser toolbar, click Settings .
- Click Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites
- Type in the version of Maps that you use, like maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk and make sure that the "require server verification" box is unchecked. Click Add.
Troubleshoot problems with location
If you receive an error like "Your location cannot be determined", two things might have happened:
- Your request took too long, so Maps stopped working.
- We couldn’t get an accurate read on where you are
Fix the problem
Here are a few tips:
- Refresh your browser, like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- Check to make sure you have a strong Internet connection.
- Double check your permission settings in the instructions above.