Your location can't be found
If you can't center the map on your location, you might have denied permission for Google Maps to use your location or your browser might have an error.
Give Maps permission
To center the map on your location, you must first give Maps permission to get your location.Chrome
- On the browser toolbar, click the Chrome menu .
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
- In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the "Location" section. Select your default permission for future location requests:
- Allow all sites to track your physical location: Select this option to give Maps and all other sites access your location.
- Ask when a site tries to track your physical location: Select this option if you want Google Chrome to alert you whenever a site requests your location. Next time you open Maps, click "Allow" in the notification bar that appears at the top of your screen.
- Click Done.
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and above
- While on maps.google.com, click the lock icon to the left of the URL in the top bar.
- Click More information....
- Click the "Permissions" tab.
- Underneath the "Access Your Location" heading, click the "Allow" button.
Mozilla Firefox 3.1 and below
- Tools > Gears Settings
- Click Remove next to the country version of Maps that you use (such as maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk).
- Open Safari.
- In the top right corner of your computer, click Safari then click Preferences.
- Click Privacy, then click Prompt for each website one time only.
- Return to the country version of Maps that you use (such as maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk). To center the map on your location, click . If prompted, check the box named “Remember by decision and don’t ask me again” and click Allow.
If you're on a Mac you may be prompted to allow location services at the system level before you can turn on location services for Safari. To do this:
- Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy Preferences > Privacy > Location Services.
- Click the lock in the bottom left to allow for changes.
- Check "Enable Location Services".
- On the browser toolbar, click the Settings button .
- Click Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites
- Type in the country version of Maps that you use (such as maps.google.com or maps.google.co.uk) and ensure the "require server verification" box is unchecked. Click Add.
TroubleshootingYour location can't be determined
If you received an error (such as "Your location cannot be determined"), your request may have failed for two reasons:
- Your request timed out.
- We weren’t able to get an accurate location.
Fix the problem
Here are a few tips:
- Refresh your browser.
- Check to make sure you have a good internet connection.
- Double check your permission settings.