View traffic and other layers
You can often view additional information on the map like real-time traffic and photos.
How to switch between layers
- Navigate to a place on the map.
- Hover your mouse over the square widget on the top righthand corner of the map.
- A menu with available layers for your map will appear. Click on the down arrow to view additional layers, if necessary.
- Click the name of the layer that you'd like to turn on for your map (e.g. Traffic). Simply click again to turn off the layer.
- Traffic: Get up-to-date traffic conditions to find the best route to your destination.
- Photos: View photos taken from places all around the world.
- Labels: Show street, city, and boundary names within your map (available when in Satellite view).
- Bicycling: Find biking paths and trails. You can also get biking directions from Google Maps.
- Terrain: View the 3D elevation of natural geographic features, like mountains and canyons. Terrain view is also available for the new Google Maps.
- Transit: See the public transport network of your city overlaid on the map where available.
- 45º: See your place on the map at a 45º angle birds'-eye view (where available when in Satellite view).
Note: Photo Tours are currently only available in the new Google Maps for Photo Tours. Meet the new Google Maps.