Get directions for driving, public transit, biking, walking, and flying.
- Open Google Maps.
- Click Directions .
- Click points on the map or type the address or place name.
- [Optional] To add additional destinations, go to the left side of the directions card and click the . To change the order of your destinations, click and drag each one.
- Click the icon for driving , transit , walking , cycling , or flight icon.
Note: Directions to more than one destination aren’t available for public transit or flight searches. Directions searches might not be available in all regions. If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to drag to change routes.
The best route to your destination is blue on the map and is the first result shown. Alternate routes are in gray on the map. See other options by clicking on the gray routes or a different card.
You can look at directions in two ways:
- Map view: Hover over the white circles along the route to see key directions on the map.
- To view and print directions, click Details.
Customize directionsChange your directions
You can change your travel date or time to find the best route before you leave, based on estimated traffic and transit schedules. Here’s how:
- After you've gotten your directions, click Leave now .
- To change your travel dates or times, select Depart at or Arrive by.
Note: You can't get directions ahead of time if you more than one destination.
To avoid highways, tolls, and ferries or change from miles (mi) to kilometers (km), click Route options.
To remove a destination, hover over the place in the card. Go to the right of the address and click the . To adjust the order of your trip, click and drag the circles to the left of the destination names.Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to use some of these features.
If you're taking public transit, you'll see details about the transit line, trip time, and schedule. (Some of this information might not be available for all results.)
To see other public transit times and enter a specific time, click Schedule explorer . From here, you can see key information:
- Overall travel time for your route
- Time spent walking (dotted lines)
- Time spent on transit (solid lines)
- Transportation lines used
To see the next scheduled departure, click Leave now. Or choose a different time and date for your directions in the boxes at the top.
Click on a trip to select it and see it on the map.
Click Route options to narrow your directions down to a particular type of transit. You can also choose Fewer transfers and Less walking.Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to use some of these features.
Laura is a Google Maps expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.