Get directions for driving, public transit, biking, walking, and flying.
- Open Google Maps.
- Hover your cursor over the search box, then click Directions .
If you don't see the Directions button, see alternate instructions at the bottom of this page.
- Click points on the map or type the address or place name.
- [Optional] Add additional destinations by clicking the button in the directions card. To change the order of your destinations, click and drag each one.
- Click the driving , transit , walking , cycling , or flight icon.
Note: Directions to multiple destinations are not available for public transit or flight searches. Directions searches might not be available in all regions.
The best route to your destination is blue on the map and is the first card shown. Alternate routes are in gray on the map. See alternate routes by clicking on the map or clicking a different card.
You can look at your directions in two different ways:
- Map view: Hover over the white circles along the route to see key directions on the map.
- Direction details:
- To view and print a list of driving directions, click Details.
- To view and print public transit directions, click the departure time next to Next trip.
Customize directionsChange your directions
To avoid highways, tolls, and ferries or change from miles (mi) to kilometers (km), click Route options.
To remove a destination, hover over the place in the card and click the that appears to the right of the address. To adjust the order of your destinations, click and drag the circles to the left of the destination names.
If you're taking public transit, you'll see details about the transit line, trip duration, and schedule. (Some of this information might not be available for all results.)
To see other public transit times and enter a specific time, click More options and times. From here, you can see key information:
- Overall travel time for your route
- Time spent walking (dotted lines)
- Time spent on transit (solid lines)
- Transportation lines used
To see the next scheduled departure, click Leave now. Or choose a different time and date for your directions in the boxes at the top.
Click on a trip to select it and see it on the map.
Click Route options to narrow your directions down to a particular type of transit. You can also choose Fewer transfers and Less walking.
If the instructions above didn't work, you might be on the classic version of Maps. Follow these alternate instructions:Get directions on the classic Google Maps
- Open the classic Google Maps.
- Click the Get directions button.
- Enter a starting and ending point.
- Click Get Directions.
- [Optional] Click the Add destination link in the left panel under the destination. You can also right-click an area on the map to add a destination.
- To change your mode of transportation, click the icon for car, transit, bike, walk, or airplane.
You can also get directions to a place by searching for it on the map and clicking the Directions link from the info window that appears.
Directions appear on the map as a purple line. You can see step-by-step instructions and estimated drive time in the left panel.
Note: Directions searches might not be available in all regions. Multiple destinations are not available for public transit directions or flight searches.