Get directions for driving, public transit, biking, walking, and flying.
- Open Google Maps.
- Click Directions .
- Click points on the map or type the address or place name.
- [Optional] Add additional destinations by clicking the button in the directions card. To change the order of your destinations, click and drag each one.
- Click the driving , transit , walking , cycling , or flight icon.
Note: Directions to multiple destinations are not available for public transit or flight searches. Directions searches might not be available in all regions. If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to drag to change routes.
The best route to your destination is blue on the map and is the first card shown. Alternate routes are in gray on the map. See alternate routes by clicking on the map or clicking a different card.
You can look at your directions in two different ways:
- Map view: Hover over the white circles along the route to see key directions on the map.
- To view and print directions, click Details.
Customize directionsChange your directions
You can change your travel date or time to find the best route before you leave, based on estimated traffic and transit schedules. Here’s how:
- Get directions.
- Click Leave now .
- To change your travel dates or times, select Depart at or Arrive by.
Note: You can't plan directions ahead of time if you have multiple destinations.
To avoid highways, tolls, and ferries or change from miles (mi) to kilometers (km), click Route options.
To remove a destination, hover over the place in the card and click the that appears to the right of the address. To adjust the order of your destinations, click and drag the circles to the left of the destination names.Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to use some of these features.
If you're taking public transit, you'll see details about the transit line, trip duration, and schedule. (Some of this information might not be available for all results.)
To see other public transit times and enter a specific time, click Schedule explorer. From here, you can see key information:
- Overall travel time for your route
- Time spent walking (dotted lines)
- Time spent on transit (solid lines)
- Transportation lines used
To see the next scheduled departure, click Leave now. Or choose a different time and date for your directions in the boxes at the top.
Click on a trip to select it and see it on the map.
Click Route options to narrow your directions down to a particular type of transit. You can also choose Fewer transfers and Less walking.Note: If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you won't be able to use some of these features.
Laura is a Google Maps expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback about the page.