Help Google Maps find my location
If you see a message that says “Could not determine your precise location,” it means that you're visiting the Google Maps website on your mobile browser (not in the Google Maps app) and either:
- Your mobile Internet browser doesn't have permission to access your location.
- You have location turned off on your phone or tablet.
Use the Maps app instead
To use Google Maps features like traffic alerts and turn-by-turn navigation, and help Maps find your location, we recommend using the Google Maps app.
To download and open the app, follow the steps below.
- Download the latest version of the app.
- Open the Google Maps app .
- Tap My location .
- If you see a message asking you to turn on your location, tap OK.
If you don't have the Google Maps app and want to use the browser on your phone or tablet, you’ll need to share your location with Google Maps by following the instructions below.
Let Maps determine your current location in your browser
- Go to the Settings app .
- Under "Personal," tap Location. (Depending on your device, this may be found elsewhere.)
- Turn the switch to On.
- Open the Google Maps in your mobile browser and refresh the webpage.
- Tap My location .
If you still get an error when you open Google Maps, follow the steps in "2. Give Google Maps access to your browser location."
If you don’t see an error when you open Google Maps, when you see a message asking you to use your device’s location, tap Allow.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top right, tap More .
- Tap Settings.
- Under "Advanced," tap Site settings.
- Tap Location. If you see a toggle, make sure it is turned on and blue.
- If you see "Location access is turned off for this device," tap the blue words on the next Settings screen, tap the toggle to turn on location access.
- If you see "blocked" under "Location," tap Blocked tap any Google sites that you see Clear & reset.
- Open Google Maps in your mobile browser and refresh the webpage.
If you're using a browser other than Chrome, visit your browser's help center by visiting their website.