When someone shares their location with you, you can add Location Sharing notifications to know when they arrive at or leave a specific location, like home or work.
You can stop sharing your location, or turn off these notifications, at any time. Notifications stop when location sharing stops. Location Sharing notifications aren't available for certain accounts and sharing via links.
To get Location Sharing notifications, turn on Google Maps notifications.
Add a Location Sharing notification
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap your profile picture or initial Location sharing.
- Tap the profile of a person who shares their location with you.
- In the “Notifications” section, tap Add .
- Under “Choose a location,” select an address or click Add location .
- To choose a new location, enter an address in the search bar or click Choose on map.
- To set location, move your finger across the screen.
- Click Done.
- Choose when you want to receive the notification:
- Every time they arrive: To receive a notification when they arrive at the specified location.
- Every time they depart: To receive a notification when they leave the specified location.
- Click Save.
The person who shares their location with you will receive an email to inform them that you added this notification. If they have Google Maps notifications turned on, they'll also receive a push notification.
You can add up to 5 Location Sharing notifications for each person who shares their location with you.
Turn off a Location Sharing notification
If someone added a notification to know when you arrive at or leave a specific location, you can turn it off. This also turns off any existing notifications that they added. They won’t be notified that you turned off notifications, and you can continue to share your location with them. Notifications will remain off until you turn them back on, even if sharing stops and starts again. Any time you stop sharing your location, these notifications automatically stop.
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/locationsharing.
- Turn off “Allow Location Sharing notifications.”
Troubleshoot Location Sharing notifications
If Location Sharing notifications aren’t available for you, check the following: