Tips for writing great reviews
Writing great reviews will increase the likelihood that your review will get published, and helps others discover the places that are just right for them. Here are a few tips:
- Be informative and insightful: Be specific and relevant to the place you’re reviewing, and describe what other visitors are likely to experience. Highlight what makes the place special, and try to share something unique and new.
- Be authentic: Review your own experience, and explain what the place was like and the service you received. Try to be as accurate as possible, and include both the positive and negative aspects of your visit.
- Be respectful: Business owners often use feedback to improve their offerings. Even if you’re frustrated, make sure your criticism is constructive. Additionally, please avoid profanity.
- Write with style: Check your spelling and grammar, and avoid excessive capitalization and punctuation. In general, a paragraph is a great length for a review.
- Avoid personal and professional information: Do not include the phone numbers or URLs of other businesses in your reviews. Additionally, do not write reviews for places where you are currently or formerly, an employee.
- Avoid general commentary: Certain locations may become the subject of larger public debate or conversation due to recent news coverage or current events. While we respect and value your opinion, Local Reviews are not meant for social or political commentary. Forums, like blogs or social networks, are much more appropriate for those types of conversations. Please write about your firsthand experience with the place and not general commentary on the place in relation to recent news.
Tips for taking a good photo
Taking good quality photos will increase the likelihood that your photo will get published, and helps others discover the places that are just right for them. Here are a few tips:
- Keep it useful: Make sure the photo is at the correct location, is not a selfie, and may help someone understand what the place you’re reviewing. Avoid submitting similar or duplicate photos.
- Take clear photos: Make sure the photo doesn’t have superimposed text on it and isn’t overly edited. Try to make sure the picture is not blurry.