Add building outlines
Add building outlines to make buildings easier to see on Google Maps. Before adding a building, first search to make sure it doesn't already exist on the map.
- Click Add New on top left of the viewport.
- Select Building Outline from the drop-down menu.
- Select a category from the drop-down menu, or start typing in the box to search for a category.
- Select the Satellite view and zoom in to the appropriate location. Draw the outline of the building according to the area covered by the building at ground level.
- Press Enter or double click to finish drawing. Add more details in the left hand panel. You can discard your edit by selecting Cancel.
- Click Save.
- Buildings with businesses: Draw a single building outline to add buildings with one or more businesses:
- Don’t add any detail of the businesses operating within the building; to the “Building” attribute. Instead, add these separately as place markers.
- If you're not sure of the building name, leave it unnamed.
- Example: The de Young Building should be the name of the building and the businesses within it should be added separately as place markers.
- Ignore the shadows cast on buildings in satellite imagery while marking the outline.
- When there is no visible gap between two or more buildings in Street View or satellite imagery (such as row houses with different architecture), draw separate buildings.
- Do not include any overhangs.
Was this article helpful?