Split & Cut out Shapes
You can now split a single feature into multiple polygons with the same attributes. You can also use multiple shapes to draw a single feature. Example: this can be helpful when drawing a university with distinct separated areas, where you want to exclude areas that don’t belong to the university.
To add multiple shapes for the same feature:
There are several ways you can add multiple polygons for a single feature. Depending on your edit, begin by selecting Add a Place / Nature Features, then follow these simple steps to split the shapes for that feature:
- Click along the outline/boundary of the place to draw the shape (Hold down the “Shift” key to draw right angles).
- After drawing the boundary, press Enter or double-click to finish drawing.
- Click Add to add another polygon, and repeat the steps above.
- In the left panel, enter the feature Name, Contact details and other attributes.
- Click Save when you're done.
Note: You can use this feature to add as many polygons as you want.
Cut out shapes:
You can now use the cut out tool at the top of the map view to remove portions of a shape. To do so:
- Once you have added the shape, click cut out at the top of the map.
- Click along the outline/boundary of the shape you want to remove within the existing shape.
- After drawing the cut out shape, press Enter or double-click to finish drawing.
To delete a cut out shape:
- Click Delete at the top left corner of the view-port.
- Select the cut out shape you want to delete and click Save. This will fill in the cut out part of the shape.
- If you are creating a shape and wish to undo a cut out, you can just use the Undo button located above the viewport.
The cut out tool can be useful when you want to add a garden situated at the center of the building separately as a “Boundary.” You can use the cut out option to create a separate attribute for the building.
- Make sure that the split polygons are actually a part of a single feature with the same attributes. If not, they should be marked as separate features.
- Do not add split polygons for buildings as the building attributes are not always same for different buildings.
- Don’t cut out part of the building and add it separately as a different feature. For example, you shouldn’t cut out a store from a shopping mall and make it a separate feature.