Map Maker interface
Here's the basic layout of the Map Maker interface:
- Viewport: The viewport is the map that you currently see.
- Navigation controls: Zoom in and out or move around the map. You can also click and drag to move the viewport.
- Street View: An orange pegman indicates that street-level imagery is available. A grey pegman indicates that it's not available.
- Left panel: The left panel displays information about updates, edits and directions related to the current action you're performing.
- Toolbar: The toolbar allows you to add new places, lines, outlines, or features. You can also use it to browse or edit existing features.
- Search bar: Find businesses, schools, and other places of interest.
- Settings: The settings menu lets you to quickly access important links like your profile or your Map Maker settings.
- Location bar: See your current location based on the area represented by the viewport. You may need to zoom in to view this information.
- Layers: Hover over the widget in the righthand corner of the map to view available layers for your location, such as satellite, map, photos, and pending roads or places.
- Overlays: Add your own maps and images on top of the regular map.
- Map contributors: Hover your mouse pointer over the contributors' names in the right bottom corner of the viewport to view stats for top contributors to an area.
- Info window: When you click a feature, an info window will appear that displays additional information.
Overview of the left panel
The left panel is a multi-functional workplace that allows you to view and review feature details, submit new details, or edit existing ones. It includes the following features:
- The My Neighborhood tab helps you add, monitor and review features in your neighborhood or a list of Suggested Neighborhoods. Learn how to add neighborhoods.
- The Current Map View helps you to monitor and review changes made to your current map view.
- The My Activities tab shows your recent feature/edit submissions and their current status.
- The Manage Neighborhoods section helps you to update the neighborhoods you follow.
- The Search Results tool displays a list of features as and when you search for a feature.
Markers on the map
Markers appear in Google Map Maker to indicate a particular location or address on the map.
|The location of a published place or address on Map Maker|
|The location that's pending review|
|The starting point and destination point for a route when you request directions|
|A published place when you browse the map|
|The location of pending places when you browse the map|
|The location of line features such as roads, rivers, railways, and trails|
|The point where one section of a linear feature connects with a neighboring section|
|The location where a line feature ends|
|A feature that has been removed from the map, or the previous location of a place|
|The accuracy of a place on the map, which is either "Coarse" or "Very rough"|