In what data formats does Google accept base map data?
Learn about the data formats we accept in Google's Complete Map Content Specifications.We do accept all formats of base map (vector) data; however, when data is submitted in the formats described below, it makes it easier and quicker for Google to ingest it.
Supported data formats are:
- ESRI Shapefile
- MapInfo TAB
- KML/KMZ with the data represented as SchemaData and SimpleFields (preferred) or ExtendedData.
- DBF or CSV - If CSV, make sure it is comma-delimited, with each column surrounded by quotes to prevent issues with commas in names, etc. Also ensure that there is a header row.
- ESRI GeoDatabase (prefer data exported into individual shapefiles)
- Please use UTF-8 character encoding for vector attributes. UTF-16 and UTF-32 are also accepted.
- Please, no special character encodings!
- We prefer files to be < 1GB.
- For lookup tables, DBF or CSV is acceptable. If CSV, make sure it is comma-delimited, with each column surrounded by quotes to prevent issues with commas in names, etc. Also ensure that there is a header row.
- FGDC formatted Metadata recommended.
- We do not have standards on field types, field widths, domains, etc.
- Please refer to the the Help Section about WMS and WFS. (FIXME: Insert link)
Was this helpful?
How can we improve it?