/mail/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
In Gmail, the "empty trash" option is gone. What do I do? 11 Recommended Answers 433 Replies 1030 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
In the Gmail app on an Android the "empty trash" option in spam and trash, is gone now. In spam, I can click each individual message to delete, but in trash I do not see an option to delete. Before, in spam mail or what I moved to trash, at the top in blue there was an option "empty trash" what happen? Thanks
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (433)
Relevant Answer
Same issue in last day or so
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here and also the "bin" folder cannot be emptied in bulk anymore ..... Google has broken it!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
is there anyone in the "help center" looking at this?
is this where they will post a fix?
reboot will not work
no where in gmail setting to make adjustments
do not 'delete' spam - it will just move to your trash (which you will (also) not be able to empty)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello David Atkins, Jr.. Thanks for posting to Gmail.

Have you tried from a computer? It seems to be working from desktop - or at least from my desktop.
Not sure if this is an Android or Gmail issue.

If the answer is helpful, please click "Recommend"  to help other users of the community.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not able to try that (yet). Thanks for the suggestion - will try that this afternoon
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I lost the empty trash and empty spam options on my Pixel. They were there yesterday.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, working as normal on my desktop. Just my phone, it's a Google Pixel 3a if that matters, it worked two days ago, not sure what happened, but the words "empty trash" is completely gone. When I go into my trash and click on an email I fail to find "delete" anywhere.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seems it is an Android glitch of some type. I only do desktop so will have to do some checking but as of now I know of no workaround.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have this issue on my Motorola Z4 phone only as of this afternoon. Really weird. I'm not always at my computer and it's inconvenient and nonsensical not to be able to empty trash and spam on the phone. Hopefully this will be fixed soon!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the Moto z4 as well and when I did the update on Tuesday I've been having problems ever since. I just received this new phone about a week ago I had one just like it but I had to send it back to the manufacturer due to having problem with Gmail and my phone freezing up at certain times 🙄. This must really be a horrible make of this Moto z4 phone, I'm very disappointed😕.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The issue appears to be tied to dark mode. I changed it to light mode and "Empty Trash" reappeared. I guess it's a workaround until it's been fixed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Now Empty Trash is back! 👏👏👏👏
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Tried switching from "dark mode" to light and still the "empty trash" does not show up. Rebooted my phone to. It's a One+6t. Just updated to Android 10 2 days ago. It was working fine until 30 minutes ago.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I selected.a couple of messages in the bin and then deselected them and the empty bin appeared? Seems quite random though.

Update , open a message in the bin, close it and empty bin is there!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I was able to empty trash and spam on my Nokia 7 Android phone, but NOT from my Samsung Android tablet.  I've never had this problem before.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It just happened to me however when you turn phone sideways (horizontal) it's there. However, when phone is vertical it disappears again. Don't know what's going on hoping this will be corrected.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Im having the same problem too and I've been trying to figure it out for days and finally a certain reply on here helped me fix the problem by activating the "auto rotate" on your phone and view your e-mail on a horizontal view. The empty bin option then show up. I hope this will help for those who are having the same problem. Thank you Iris for your post. Indeed very helpful.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Noticed this, too, but the guy who mentioned turning your phone horizontally was right -- the "empty trash" button is visible when your phone is turned to the horizontal view. Strange but at least it's not gone...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Tried that. Still not a visible empty bin option.

Update: open email in bin, close it....empty bin option appeared. Bin is now empty.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I went into settings in Gmail and tapped on "clear search history. It worked for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Nothing is working...  Come on Google ..  let's get this fixed ..  by now you should know there's a problem .  No empty options on spam or trash...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Samsung Note 9 same issue both bins,(Trash and Spam) 😡😡😡
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you open an email in the trash bin or spam(Dont delete) then go back the empty trash comes up.... "STILL BROKE"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here but I found out if you open a message in the trash or spam folder then back out of it the empty trash and empty spam option appears in my Android device.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The delete spam and trash are there for me on the PC; it's just been removed from the android version of gmail.  But, the above suggestion to open an item in trash, then close it and the empty trash option reappears.  

Hope Google fixes both the spam and trash delete option.  This sucks as is...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes me too. Cant delete spam in bulk anymore on my gmail app, plus the app crashes when I click on promotions. What's going on?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also notice this issue just now. There seems to be some technical issue. Google has to provide a fix for this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank goodness I'm not the only person who has experienced this issue...now at least I don't feel alone! 
In the process of looking up problem on the android developers site to look for a solution...
Hopefully this is only temporary.
I take it must be a roll out of a new gmail update in the works for gmail and only a small select group of individuals may be affected ( Just Guessing ).
I'm on the east coast...anyone else?
Let's all hope  that the G-team doesn't leave us stranded with a obvious broken system...
If I should find a fix to this dilemma,I will update my findings.-12:54 am  2/21/2020
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The empty trash function has disappeared for me as well. A workaround that I have been using is to click on any email in the trash folder and then back out of the email. The empty trash button will then appear back on top. Hope this helps anyone experiencing this issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please if anyone figures out, post!!! East coast too!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same problem.  It was fine yesterday.  Also, when I was looking around  trying to figure out if there was a setting I could change to get the empty trash/spam back, I found a place that had 600+ messages from my in-box that I had deleted in 2019 and 2018.  What the hell???
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i am having the same problem all of a sudden with regard to spam and to empty my bin.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Go to your trash.  Open one of the messages then close it.  You should then have your empty trash back.  That works until they've fixed the obvious glitch.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue. "DELETE ALL" option in the gmail bin has simply just vanished.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Go to your trash.  Open one of the messages then close it.  You should have delete all trash back.  You can then delete everything.  But it doesn't stay.  Once you get out and go back in you have to do these steps again.  Obviously there's some sort of glitch.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also noticed this problem and found it had something to do with they way Android 10 handles dark mode. If you when then disable dark mode the option will return (although temporarily) it seems to revert after changing folders.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also noticed this problem and found it had something to do with they way Android 10 handles dark mode. If you when then disable dark mode the option will return (although temporarily) it seems to revert after changing folders.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here. Empty trash and spam are gone
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mine isn't there and I don't even have the dark mode option
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Since the new update there's no option for empty trash / bin on the Android version. Google didn't you see this when testing before going public???
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Gone on my Galaxy S8 this morning and I'm not in dark mode. Really frustrating as I dont have access to another device
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Gone also on my Pocophone F1 since yesterday.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I noticed this yesterday on my Huawei Honor 10 Lite in the UK.

GMail for Android version 2020.01.27.293735221 is broken. However, this seems to be more of a display issue. I found that as per Iris C's observation below:

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/29279524?hl=en&pli=1&msgid=29345366

viewing the folder in landscape (horizontal) and it comes back.

A more worrying question is this - is Google now having its Software Quality Control being done by Microsoft? That's the only way I can think of such an stupid and obvious bug not being picked up before a build is released.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue on lgv40
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue on my OnePlus 6T phone
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 Same on my pixel 4XL thought I'd somehow done it in settingd. But no.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same Samsung S7
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seems it comes and goes. Saw it a second ago. Gone the next.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yeah, also seeing the same issue on a Pixel 3 XL (with all OS and App updates). Both the Bin and Spam folders no longer have the Empty option.

As noted by one of the posts above, rotating the phone horizontally does bring it back and it remains (at least for a while) when rotated back to normal phone orientation
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you Kevin Mathews, tried your suggestion of rotating my phone and the empty spam/bin feature returns!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It is only happening with my gmail accounts. With other email services accessed through GMail app the "Empty Trash" option was always there... so it's purely a GMail account problem with the app.
Turning dark theme off worked for me. Also, turning the phone horizontal (landscape) works too, and they remained visible temporarily for me when I returned the phone to vertical... but when I left the app then returned to it in vertical then it was gone again. Annoying glitch.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Rotating phone sideways worked! Thank you!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can't delete the trash! I've tried everything. On phone,  on laptop and even pulled sim card ! The only thing I have accomplished is finding out that I'm not alone!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is only an issue on the phone app, the desktop version works fine. I have figured out that if you open one of the messages and then close it, the Empty Trash option reappears The same issue exists for Delete Spam. If you open one, then close it, the Delete Spam option reappears.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Affecting me rubbing Gmail Version 2020.01.27.293735221.release.

Thank you Iris C for the workaround of rotating phone sideways. Thank you. Hope this is fixed soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had to uninstall update and revert back to factory version. Empty bin option has returned.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
that worked!!! drove me crazy last 2 days, rotate phone (though i have set not to) to delete the BS emails

lg g7 thinq
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The "turn the phone sideways" trick worked for me, too. Samsung S10.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue on my Galaxy S10 for the last 24 hours. No "delete all"  button in spam or trash. The delete option has popped back on a couple of times for a second or two and then disappears again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you open then close a deleted item in trash (don't do that for spam) I've found the empty trash button shows and you can mass delete again.  Some kind of glitch.  I am using a Samsung S8+
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue. You'd think Gmail yes would know of the big by now. The delete spam delete trash buttons are gone, same with trying to select and delete individual emails. 
Moto g, but clearly Gmail app issue. Buttons there on PC, laptop, and even when log in via phone browser, but the Gmail app- nope. Noticed it's been about 40 hours or so.

No rotation of screen, reboot, light/dark feature solves it. So suspect there was a background google or Gmail android update with some silly error shipped within.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Strange update. I went back into my trash, opened up one email in there, then hit the back arrow in the Gmail app, the empty bin button appeared...but if go back in trash straight, it's gone again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've lost the 'empty bin' option too, in spam and bin folder.  Can anyone advise please.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here samsung s7. I don't have dark mode or Android 10. Rotate view doesn't resolve the problem. reboot phone after clear cache and force stop does nothing either.Started last night, but the last gmail update was several days ago. No option in app to clear search history either. I know that used to be there. Who's got time for this? Google get your act together.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
previous post suggests you click on one of the emails in the spam/trash folder, click arrow back and the empty action will be there...click it and it will work.
this works for both the spam/trash folders. good workaround while google fixes their app. thanks.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Click on one of the emails in trash. Hit back arrow, and empty trash will show up.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi there.
I seem to have the same problem concerning GMail, I am no longer able to empty my bin, I can individually delete my Spam messages, whereas before, I could empty the whole Spam messages all at once, that option has gone now.
I have the Samsung Galaxy A70, I had a notification to update my phone the other day (which I did), my phone hasn't been the same since (facepalm).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The feature status on a PC is irrelevant, as stated it is not working on mobile devices.  Pixel 4xl, happened same in last day or so.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, cannot empty trash or spam, very unhappy
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem. Please assist!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I figured it out.  Got to settings\Apps\Gmail\Storage\Clear cache\Clear Data.
Worked for me, you may be able to just clear the cache.

Have a nice day.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seems everyone has the same problem, if we all fill the community site with complaints they may do something...it stagers me that the more money these tech companies make the less idea they have how to run them:
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. Worked yesterday, not today. 

"Carrier services" app was latest update, 10 hours ago. 

Note 9. Android 10. All updates current.

Edit: turning phone to landscape brings up the empty bin choice again, as others have noted.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here - redmi 5 plus.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a workaround for this issue 
1. Go to trash folder.
2.select a email from your trash and open it.
3. Now hit the back button in the trash folder where all your emails are listed for trash and empty trash should reappear.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
noticed the same thing as everyone else yesterday. galaxy s10+, i don't wanna have to touch emails in my spam folder at allif not necessary.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you open any email in the SPAM or BIN folders, and then close it, the 'Empty spam now' or 'Empty bin now' blue hyperlink/option reappears at the top of the GMAIL window. This appears to be a bug in the latest update to the GMAIL app on Android.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Opening a message in Trash, and then closing it brought back the "Empty Trash", temporarily.  Thanks for the tip!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I read one of the unread emails in my trash. closed it and voila, the empty trash button appeared. 
not sure if its related to only unread emails or not, but that fixed it for mich.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Samsung 9+ is missing the empty trash option...what gives
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same with my Samsung 10+..
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
my desk top gmail trash bin works not my galaxy j3 v, does any one know of a fix yet ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My empty trash now button missing did anyone get this corrected
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here on p30 pro with android 10, rotating phobe brings it back
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem! Can't even contact anyone at gmail or google about this problem....GOOGLE are you listening.....this has been going on two days now with my galaxy S10+....get on the ball and fix this
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No mine is missing too
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue too on my Android.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yep, same problem here. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and sometime in the last couple of days the Empty Bin and Empty/Delete Spam options have vanished. Google please fix this asap. I am rarely on desktop, I need to be able to do this on my phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
the wording is gone for the trash and the spam folder. On the desk top its fine....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think I found the solution to this. Click any mail you moved into trash can, then click back. Once you are back at the trash can layout, the "empty trash can" option will pop up normally. Hope this tip can solve your issue like I did.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Iris C you're a rock star.  Rotating phone to horizontal worked perfectly.  Thank you!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Worked perfectly for me.

If you have multiple email boxes on your phone,  do it for each one.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Try that, it didn't work!😤
Damn freakin'🤬 google
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Easy enough to do, just strange
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue on my Note 8.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue on note 9😡
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue on my Android Samsung S8. Need this option back!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue, so far based on the comments submitted there are two workarounds:
1. Turn phone horizontal and trash icon appears at the top as normal which then can be emptied.
2. Click/open the message in the trash, then close it, the trash icon will then appear at the top which then     message can be deleted. My guess and I'm no techie is there is a bug with Gmail for android.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problems here the empty trash button disappeared yest 🤔
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. Have a s9+ empty trash is no longer available
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
As Vincent had mentioned 15 hrs ago, seems to be a theme glitch. Samsung Galaxy S10 in dark mode with Gmail app set to system default I had the missing Empty options. Switched the app to Light theme, still no Empty options. Switched app to Dark theme, and the Empty options appeared.

... continuing to tinker
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue - on my Android phone. While in the trash folder if you touch one of the emails in the trash to open it and then hit backspace then you will see empty trash now feature but I have to do this every time.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same with me. Motorola Moto G4.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
We need to change the phone orientation while in trash or spam to show the 'empty' feature. So if we enter trash while you in vertical mode, then rotate the phone to horizontal.  If we enter trash while in horizontal mode, the rotate the phone vertical. 

Someone in google must have