Google Chat "rooms" are being renamed "spaces." It may take time for the name change to appear everywhere. Learn more.

/mail/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
audio files wont play and ask me to download each time?
I have read the other posts in the community but we listen to a large volume of voice messages on our email. Before we used to be able to play it direct but now it is coming up with the following message as attached. I have cleared the browsing data as recommended in another post, tried turning on and off extensions and through another browser but I still cant listen to the file direct without having to download it. Any suggestions? Many Thanks 
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (203)
Relevant Answer
theres no fix 

.mp4 also broken 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i have this problem too, please someone help me im a music producer and sending audio files is the most important thing
please
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

download then play ......
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i cant download every single thing that gets sent to me
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

only audio files ...........
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also a music producer, and being able to scroll down through my gmail inbox and play those many attached music files, with a single click, without even opening the emails, has been an important part of my life for years.  And now suddenly it just doesn't work?!  Is it gone forever?!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
ill escalate the bug
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue. Clicking and listening to audio files in gmail WITHOUT downloading them is super important for my work. I'm not going to download every mp3 that it's in my inbox. Ain't happening. I refuse. 

WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS FEATURE? PLEASE FIX, GOOGLE.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Daniel Owens 2266

read the other comments
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This didn't help. And why is my previous issue no longer allowed to receive comments from other users? I didn't disable comments.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
For the record, I just created another issue post similar to this that is now marked as a "duplicate." So, comments are now disabled. I need a solution on how to fix this issue asap. Like, now. None of the methods suggested to resolve this problem have worked. I simply can't click and listen to mp3's right now without downloading them. That's unacceptable.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

read above - its A BUG THERES NO FIX
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"There's no fix" is bullshit. It can be fixed if it's just a bug. Who are you?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

ive  escalated the bug

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Oh I read it. And It's Daniel, not Dan. 

"I am unaware of a solution to this problem right now, as it appears to be a new bug, but I will see what I can do to get this resolved asap." <-- pro tip 

Your efforts to fix this are much appreciated.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
its actually an old bug 

re Your efforts to fix this are much appreciated.

i dont work for google , i can only escalate to them and hope they fix 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why am I receiving this? My concern is about mp4. I did not know mp3 to have the same problem. But we're told to report it to google ...what a joke. They need reading and hearing aids.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why am I receiving this?

unsubscribe .........
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey, have not heard of you for a while... But I thought I subscribed for the mp4 question I tried to ask but was labeled as a duplicate although I disagreed about it. Since my question was about this problem happening despite Gmail mode extension that had solved it, at least for me. But I do apologize for not realising mp3 are under the same obscure cloud. I also know this is not google and many of you give a lot of your time to help the like of us fuming under our frustration 
I still have not read anything associated with Gmail mode concerning this problem and I don't understand why because I am convinced that many people appreciated this extension.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

ask the developer of that extension for advice 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Dan iel welcome to the duplicate club! Have you heard of Gmail mode extension? I don't know if it would have worked with mp3 since I never received any but it did a very good job with mp4. And I really like to get it working again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

ask the developer of that extension to fix it - we cant fix it 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
icant.... directed me to this.
let's hope he manages to get it done soon
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google hasn't fixed this yet? Wow. If music/audio producers are going to be forced to download every mp3 file that is emailed to us, then that means we just won't use gmail to share files and opt for something else.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well it seems the developers are on about fixing it but I have difficulty to believe that I'm the only one who used Gmail Mode to counter this strange decision to stop us to open these files without downloading them. I'm using it for fun but i would have thought those who need this facility for work would have jumped for it....
I did not expect the forum to fix it but wanted to know if there was any help available about it....Ok I got it It's a bug!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
can confirm this is happening for me too with mp3 files
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Daniel Owens 2266 said Google hasn't fixed this yet? 

no i only escalated it 2 days ago and it was the weekend 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm not having this issue with my gmail account, but my assistant is having it with hers.  She can't play voicemail mp3's from our phone provider, and is too computer illiterate to download them and play them.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

i was told the issue is fixed so maybe its rolling out slowly 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Have the same problem! Gmail Mod worked until some days ago but now it stopped to play videos on Gmail with Opera explorer. What other extension plays videos in Gmail with Opera?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My office is still having this issue, this has been happening since Friday.. We can download it to listen but we cant keep doing that as we get such a large number of voicemails in a day. Any idea if it is actually fixed or not?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any idea if it is actually fixed or not?

i was told the issue is fixed so maybe its rolling out slowly 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please clarify:  this fix will mean everything goes back to the way it always was before?  (that gets my vote).   Or are we going to have to do something additional, like activate an extension or download an app of some kind?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am experiencing this problem today as well. 
Tried clearing cache, etc. 
Tried Explorer and Firefox in Standard and Incognito Windows to no avail. 
It doesn't seem to be a browser issue in that regard. 
Appears to be strictly related to Gmail. 
If I forward the emails to an msn account, they play just fine.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Laurie Holeman 

Are you indicating you have an "In" with the Gmail developer? 
(just trying to understand how you actually got in touch)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

you wont have to do anything 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same error there, voicemail workflow with .wav files totally stuck.
Google, please!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Laurie Holeman 

Are you indicating you have an "In" with the Gmail developer? 
(just trying to understand how you actually got in touch)

I had his email from last year. I was having a similar problem then. Don't remember how I got it, but was glad I saved it!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same problem can't play audio file on gmail always asking to be downloaded
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I work for a voicemail provider and customer's are no longer able to play our voicemails from within Gmail.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please fix
This problem google 
Gmail is so crucial and apart of my work life I need my audio files to work the way they used to easy and convenient.🙏
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is crucial for my business. Has there been any new developments for a fix?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is ridiculous, crucial for my work as well
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
this is ridiculous what went wrong?!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey y'all, just wanted to give everyone an update on this problem:

It hasn't been fixed yet. 

😐
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Has there been any new developments for a fix?

not yet 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I’m just glad I’m not the only one with this problem smh
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
this is such bs been happening to me for many many months I lost count. I'm also a music producer...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
they're not going to fix it. they don't care about the user experience. if it isn't directly related to monetizing ads or selling your personal information, it is not on their radar. they took the feature away it Is not a bug. it doesn't have anything to do with your cookies, or which version of chrome or even FF / Edge you use. i can tell you exactly when it happened - i was online on tuesday june 1, and  certain email with an mp3 attached played fine. it played fine all day.  in the evening time, i got the pop up all of a sudden that 'there is a problem playing this mp3' and that download prompt, and since that time, not a single mp3 file in any email i've ever sent or received will play . tried  3 browsers , removed extensions, downgraded chrome to previous 2 versions, no change. 
those F@#$#$ at google don't give a rats ass about their users. 
we might as well stop looking for a fix, there won't be one.

"I've emailed the developer there will be a fix in a week"  that is such a load of crap. " i found a unicorn that gives away free bitcoin" would be more believable than saying you have an inside line to developers at google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

real tinfoil hat stuff 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"I've emailed the developer there will be a fix in a week" 

the developer of the EXTENSION THATS BROKEN  ....................
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why so nasty? I thought it would be nice of me to tell the community that the developer is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. It's not a load of crap. I don't have an "in" with him. I was able to find his contact info last year when I was having a problem. I won't post his email because I'm sure he doesn't want to be flooded with email all saying the extension is broken. He knows. I don't believe he works for google either.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Laurie Holeman

that poster thought you were talking to google 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What's up y'all? 😀 Just wanted to give everyone another update on this insanely annoying issue:

Google has not fixed this yet. 😐

Let me break this down for those who are confused: People working in audio/music production are losing their god damn minds right now. We receive and send mp3's all the time. Daily. We're not going to download every single audio file that we receive. That's absurd. Beyond absurd. It wastes a LOT of time. That's valuable irreplaceable time spent on something that takes away from our work. The real work.  

Think about it — we download the file, which takes time. Then we have to take the time to organize and store those files, which also takes time. Every time we listen to an audio file, we have to open up another application (more time wasted). It's time stacked upon time stacked upon time. Lastly, we have to be mindful of how much storage the files are taking up, considering we'd be downloading numerous audio files regularly, all the time.  

Alphabet is one of the most prosperous companies in the world and y'all can't fix this? Wtf is going on over at Google?! Fix it!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why so nasty?! 
 Some people don't seem to see or understand the frustration others may have. Google sees most of us as little ants crawling on the web.  And if it is not on their interest or priority will continue to beg until the cows come home... 
"Someone is aware of the problem and about to fix it"  just as good as "don't ring us we'll ring you" hey! 
 I count my self lucky, because it just annoys the proverbial out of me, but no more, and as quoted, for some it's a lot worse and of course they are angry.
Another example of Google's behaviour. Google calendar will not include automatic age in its birthday calendar, when this feature has been available and working very well in other applications for years. But no amount of 'begging' has changed GG's mind about it.  And they know if you don't like it, you can shove it, but they also know they have quite a monopoly on this business not to have to worry about a few discontented, disgruntled people...
It's not quite right to reflect that anger on the forum but I guess somehow one hopes wherever one complainss it may reach GG. We have many recommendations to contact them directly, but we all know how successful this is!
I may leave / unsubscribe  this discussion as I feel it's a little like spitting into an incoming wind....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
a work around is  create a Google groups and then send the mp3 attachment to a Google groups and you can play it from the group insead.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

i only escalated this a few days ago ...........
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am now having this problem anew, but did NOT have it at the end of last week (by 6-4-2021).  I cleared my cache, restarted chrome, restarted my computer, etc.  Has anyone had any success?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue.  Before it was no problem to play the file w/out having to download and waste time deleting it...I get 20 or more of these of day because of my VM for my work. It is a pain to constantly download and delete after listening instead of just playing it and filing the email
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too, I thought I had done something wrong, spend hours trying to figure out why my audio mp3 msgs were not playing.  That'll teach me to trust Google.  I redirected my msgs to another email carrier and it works fine.  Nothing like a little prod to migrate away.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This must be heavily affecting conversion tracking from Google Ads for many businesses (incuding ours). Checking call recordings within Gmail is integral to this workflow. Hoping for a prompt fix.
(Interestingly, this issue doesn't seem to be occuring on my personal work email, so it seems quite random.)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have multiple gmail accounts, and the one I have through my university does *not* do this, but my regular gmail account does. Strange.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
CAN WE GET A FIX PLEASE I AM LOSING MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

its a bug they are working on - it can take weeks or months to fix 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Months? Are you serious? Why don't rollback?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

i said

it can take weeks or months to fix 

Why don't rollback?

this forum is user to user  - i dont work for Google 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pleses community enable kor degea ga
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i found this for mp3 , i have no mp3 files so i cant test it  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gplayer/obdmmgdlafadeehmbmcmoggnaokehnaj
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I appreciate the efforts of whoever is working to address this serious issue, and I eagerly look forward to seeing a return to what we previously enjoyed and depended upon for many years.  However, I'm curious about several things:
(1)  How could Google ever permit a fundamental change, which adversely effects many users, to occur in Gmail, one of its 3 foundational flagship products?
(2)  And, having occurred, how could Google fail to immediately roll back to the prior version which did not contain this mysterious and highly detrimental "bug"?
(3)  And, having failed to roll back to the previous non-affected version, does Google consider the current version to incorporate some advantage which outweighs the negative impact of the change?
(4)  And every new day that comes and goes without a fix, I wonder if the fact that, of the probably hundreds of thousands of people adversely impacted by this change, such a small number of those people have found their way to this forum and posted their thoughts --- will that fact lead to their not bothering to fix the issue?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

nobody here has that info 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Exactly.  That's why I've finally moved on.  Google is making it easy to say Goodbye. Another woulda coulda shoulda is too late.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The funny thing is I was about to pull the trigger on the GSuite or whatever it's called now, since our space was getting low. This would be a dealbreaker for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Started forwarding my emails to my old Hotmail which still works . 
Might have to switch back . :/
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I’ve been following this thread since last week. I kept looking for a solution and was relieved when I finally found this thread and realized it was happening  to other people too. We are having the same problem. We receive many voicemail files and downloading them is ridiculous. I thought I would chime in, in hopes it helps get this issue resolved.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This was working until updated to Chrome Version 92.0.4515.39.  Cannot seem to get it working at all since then.   Real pain to have to download each audio file, then open in an external program.   Cannot believe that this can't be fixed reasonably quickly (within a couple of days).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same problem here. definitely need a fix ASAP. I make beats and use audio through gmail every day! this is a huge inconvencience
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue here at the office for 3/3 Gmail users. We get emailed .WAV voicemails. Any ETA on the fix google?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I hope google can fix this bug. I have the same problem when I Login in my gmail account. It  does not open audio files anymore. I use to click into the audio file and listen to the audio directly.  Now it does not work anymore. I get erreur: there was a problem playing this audio file
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Count me in too.  I get mp3 files all the time and I don't have the time to download and then surf for every file I get sent.  Please Google fix this. I use Chrome and I tried Firefox with same result. The crazy thing about this is mp3 files play *natively* in the browser!  But Gmail won't let the browser just play it. Google, help!
Thank you
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
despite how major this is why hasnt google fixed it yet? its pretty important to the community!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

can you make it play mp4  ? 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

i only escalated this 8 working  days ago 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
you have millions of dollars, NOW FIX THIS!!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

this forum is user to user  - i dont work for Google 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
mp4 does not work also. same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So how do you use this extension?  I clicked, and it's now added to Chrome.  But nothing at all has changed when I click to listen to an audio file attached to a gmail.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

theres a question for you here from :

So how do you use this extension?  I clicked, and it's now added to Chrome.  But nothing at all has changed when I click to listen to an audio file attached to a gmail.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, thanks for the fix but I am receiving an error 
"Package is invalid. Details: 'Could not load javascript 'player/player_html5.js' for content script.'."
I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious there?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
it works. thanks for doing what google engineers won't do. actually do something to help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I haven't tried, since I rarely receive emails with MP4 attachments.  Interesting question, though.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Install the Chrome Extension from the Google Chrome Store.
Refresh the Gmail tab and try playing an .mp3 or .wav file.

I can't replicate the "Package is invalid" error but more than likely your download was corrupted. Uninstall, restart chrome, and reinstall the extension.

Video support (.mp4, etc) is unavailable due to technical limitations I specified in the Stack Overflow question I previously posted. Once I find an alternative component that is not restricted by CSP like I did for audio, I'll update the extension again.
marked this as an answer