Google Chat "rooms" are being renamed "spaces." It may take time for the name change to appear everywhere. Learn more.

/mail/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Reporting a bug: marking unread from inside the email not working in latest gmail app update
After the latest gmail app update on iphone, if you open an unread email, then try to hit the “mark unread” button from inside the email to make it unread, that button doesn’t work. It only works if the email was already read, you can mark it unread. But if this is your first time reading it, so it was unread, and you hit mark unread, it should keep it unread in my inbox, but it doesn’t any more. Please fix 
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (144)
AMA on Gmail and Google Accounts.
Relevant Answer
Can you please use the send feedback option in the app itself to share this with the team? That process also includes the relevant OS/device details to best assist the team. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi there, i already did on Friday
But this bug persists - can someone help please?
Thanks guys!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Apples or Androids, no that is apples or oranges. Kind of redundant is it not. Your in the email, reading the email. Mark it unread while reading it making it read again. 

If that is what you want to do try disabling Smart features, and or Hover actions. They are in mail.google.com settings. 

The IOS gmail app has settings, I'm sure you looked. Some Updates seem to restore default settings when installed. Maybe a sync thing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

Resolving bug issues will take time. It won't get resolved immediately. Additionally, I also asked for certain details from you which you have not yet provided. Can you do that?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sorry what details are you waiting for from me?
I didn’t receive anything from you - sorry
Please let me know and I’ll provide immediately, thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can you include the relevant OS/device/Gmail iOS app details for me to pass along?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Native Gmail App version 6.0.210207
Running on iPhone 12 Pro Max
iOS 14.4.1

The issue started with the new update, I definitely did not have it on the 6.0.201115 version
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks. :)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same issue, also with ios in iphone 12. if you read the email from the "unread" list, then you CAN NOT mark as unread, but if you go to the email that you have read before it allows to mark it, it is a big problem for those like me who marks as unread emails to check them later
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue
Ios 14.4.1
Gmail 6.0.210221

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue.  The only way to mark as unread is to re-select the email and then try the mark read/unread again.  Only works once, though. Trying to toggle it back to the previous (opposite) state won’t work without again selecting the email.

iPad 8 (iOS 14.4.1)
Gmail app 6.0.210221
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
yes. Of course. I already did it before reporting it here. Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'll bet it is the theme. Beside that if you mark an email unread, that is open and read,  would it not go auto read again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue with iOS 14.2 on iPhone 6s
And latest version of the Gmail app
Feedback sent through the feature within the app...

It is really annoying, it disturbs my organization a lot

Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
did you try updating the app???? That could cause problems to, that was what caused my google account to show the 'not signed in' status even tho I signed in like 12 times
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is still broken. When will it be fixed??? I am using the Gmail app on an iPhone X.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The team is still working on this one. I am regularly raising this issue, but what could really help is if all of you can also send feedback on this issue using the Send Feedback option from the Gmail iOS app. As I have mentioned before, the team is known to read all feedback submitted to them, although they may not respond back unless they desire additional information related to the topic of your feedback. The purpose of sending Feedback is to give the team a measure of the volume of users been affected by an issue or requesting a particular feature. The larger the volume of users asking for a feature or reporting a bug, the higher priority it assumes.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. Sent feedback with all the information
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
IT’S A HUGE BUG!!!!!
I’VE SENT 20 FEEDBACK IN MARCH/APRIL!!!
STILL NOT SOLVED EVEN WITH THE VERY LAST UPDATE!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Still not fixed with the latest update from 2 days ago - almost 2 months now of this bug. As a developer myself, I can’t understand why such an integral part of an email app would be such a low priority to fix. The app is great otherwise but this is frustrating enough to trade it for one of the Gmail copycats instead.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue. Persistent and super frustrating
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue. It's so counter productive, I had to look it up and report this issue, which I never do. Please fix!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. Please fix!!!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue with IPhone SE second generation. The unread button I’m so used to from the earlier versions, just doesn’t work, or it’s just too sensitive. Have to press it hard to make sure it works (which makes no sense why it shouldn’t work with a touch!!)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey guys!

Having this bug too. I'm running 6.0.210322 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 14.4.2 .

I couldn't find the pattern, sometimes it works marking as unread sometimes it doesn't. Restarting the app temporarily fixes it until it stops working again.

Thanks to the entire team!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same, iPhone XR and the issue started for me a few months ago with the update. I’ve also found that a long press of the mark unread symbol sometimes helps it work but not always. Also, after marking unread it brings me back to my unread inbox and the greyed out version of the email appears for a few seconds. If I press Star in those brief seconds before it disappears, sometimes the email will convert to unread again. 

Google, marking unread is an essential feature. Please invest in fixing this quickly. It’s been months already. Thank you for your time and efforts.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The Gmail team has not yet responded to my requests for status updates. This would typically mean that they are still working on resolving it; as in most cases, they would only provide an update after their initial response when they have fixed the bug. 

While I ask that all of you continue to add to this thread, you also send your inconvenience directly to the team via the Feedback option from the Gmail iOS app.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
We’ve heard this again and again. No such “feedback option” exists in the Gmail iOS app.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
thanks for the quick response and help
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@User 12946434081021558732
We’ve heard this again and again. No such “feedback option” exists in the Gmail iOS app.

-- Have you tried the following steps? 
  1. Open the Gmail app .
  2. In the top left, tap Menu   Send feedback.
  3. Type your comments into the box. If you have a photo of the problem, you can add it here.
  4. At the bottom right, tap Send.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I’m having the same problem, running 14.4.2 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Feedback has been sent via the app.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It seems like once you go into h read email, it is not entering the “read” state once you are in it, so when you hit the read/unread toggle icon, it marks it as read then. Thereby disappearing it from your unread inbox, which, if you use unread to track to do items, is super frustrating.

C
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Happening on iPhone X , iPhone 11 and iPhone 12. I’ve sent feedback multiple times, surprised this bug is still present.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem on iPhone XR. Super frustrating. Thinking of moving away from the Gmail app until it is fixed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
thanks for the help and answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any update? Still not working for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
IT’S SO ANNOYING!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please please please can we get this fixed soon?

This is such an annoying issue and a few times I've missed important emails that I needed to come back to that I didn't realise weren't properly marked as unread. At first I thought I was going mad, turns out this has been a known issue for two months it seems.

I'm on iPhone 7 iOS 14.6, using Gmail app. It was also a problem on the previous versions of iOS, have since updated hoping it would solve the problem, but no luck. Please help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue going on. Any help you can provide how to make it stop would be greatly appreciated.  The unread mail icon works intermittently so sometimes I don’t catch it. Talk about a productivity killer having to stop and go find the email to mark it as unread.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here and very frustrating. Please fix this ASAP
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue still happening. Very frustrating
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello - I didn't see this issue post when I was first searching for a fix for this issue, and ended up reporting it about 4 different times via the app feedback method over the past few months. 

This is heavily messing with my workflow as I use my unread emails as my to-do list. Because it's been MONTHS without any progress on this issue, I have actually had to move to another email app provider, which I am not happy about. 

I honestly don't know what else I can do from my end as I have reported it several times via the app, as we have been instructed to do here. How else can we help to get this resolved?

iOS 14.1.1 & 14.4.1
iPad 6 & iPhone 12 Pro
Gmail 6.0.210502
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same really irritating issue here.

iPad Pro 9.7”
IOS 14.4
Gmail 6.0.210404
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yeah.. still intermittent. Google, read this!
iOS 14.14.2 iPhone 11 Pro. Sometimes mark as unread button works, sometimes not. Very annoying. Very stupid.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I’ve used the feedback button to report this probably 10 times over the past 3+ months this bug has been here. 

The unread button does not work.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. I have reported it as feedback from the app so many times. How is this not being prioritized by the product team at Gmail???
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I contacted GSuite support about this, here is the response - they are aware of this issue and are working on it (slowly it seems):

After reviewing the information you provided, we believe that you may be affected by a known issue: Gmail iOS app - “Mark Unread” button not working. Here are some details about the issue:

Confirmed

Description:
Tapping 'Mark as Unread' removes message from Unread Inbox, however, message is still shown as Read in Inbox

How to diagnose:
Open a message, tap 'mark as unread', message is removed from Unread inbox, still seen as Read in Inbox.

Workaround:
There's no workaround available at this time, but we'll let you know if we learn of one.

Current update:
At 2021-05-28 17:07 US/Pacific (just now):
Our engineering team has confirmed this issue and is currently working to identify the cause of this behavior. Once that is done, we may be able to provide an estimated release date for the fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I experience this too. And have for the last few months. Incredibly annoying. I just send a Feedback report in. Thanks for the tips
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/mail/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic