'Oops 009' partially loads inbox in small rectangle
"Archive", "Report spam", "Delete", and other buttons are lined up vertically and covering parts of the Gmail page
Loading problems with IE8
Connected applications may cause slowness and errors
- Go to myaccount.google.com and sign in.
- Click Account permissions under "Connected apps and services."
- Click the Revoke Access button next to these services to improve Gmail's performance.
Chat and Contacts
Updated picture shows up in Settings but old picture still shows in my Chat list
Composing and Reading Mail
No option to use inbox categories
If you have over 250,000 messages in your inbox, you won't be able to turn on inbox tabs until you have fewer than 250,000 messages in your inbox.
Archive or delete messages
To get below this limit, archive or delete messages in your inbox. Keep in mind that archived messages stay in your account, but deleted messages will be automatically deleted from Trash after about 30 days.
Learn how to archive many messages at once.
See how many messages are in your inbox
In Gmail, replies are grouped into conversations and the inbox count in Gmail shows the number of conversations rather than the number of of individual messages. Here's how to see exactly how many messages are in your inbox:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to Conversation View (stay in the "General" tab).
- Choose Conversation view off.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of Gmail.
- Back in your inbox, look at the number of messages in your inbox (located above your messages, on the right). If you have multiple inbox sections, make sure to include each section's count.
- When you're done, go back to settings and turn Conversation view on to get your inbox back to normal.
Turn on inbox categories
When you have fewer than 250,000 individual messages in your account, turn on inbox categories:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear in the top right.
- Select Configure inbox.
- Check the boxes of the tabs you want to see.
- Click Save.
Learn more about inbox tabs.
Messages are improperly threaded
Thumbnails for attached images don't display
Oops 103 errors
Can't add attachments in Google Chrome
If the "Attach a file" link is unresponsive in Google Chrome, first make sure you are on the most recent version of Google Chrome.
If your browser is up to date, check your anti-virus software's (ex. Kaspersky, ESET) settings for "SSL scanning" and make sure this setting is disabled.
Circles search not bringing up correct results
Some filters change behavior
Oops 503 and 717 errors
We suggest the following workarounds:
- Ensure all IMAP folders you access have a limited number of messages in them by moving messages to other folders or archiving them. For best performance, we recommend limiting your folder to less than 20,000 messages.
Note: Using the advanced IMAP setting to limit messages visible to IMAP will not help for the current issue.
- Unsubscribe from large folders in your IMAP client, if your client supports this.
- Typically, the ‘All Mail’ folder is the largest. The only way to limit its size is to delete your mail, which we don’t recommend. Disable access to the ‘All Mail’ label in your Gmail Settings in the ‘Labels’ tab. Uncheck the ‘Show in IMAP’ checkbox for ‘All Mail’ and any other large labels.
Note: BlackBerry’s Enhanced Gmail Plug-In requires access to the ‘All Mail’ label. If you disable access and need continued access to your mail on your Blackberry device, you’ll need to switch to a regular IMAP setup. Follow the instructions for Google Apps Accounts here.
- Revoke 3rd party access to your account for any websites that access your account through IMAP.
- Disable IMAP in your Gmail Settings in the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ tab.
Extra space between lines when pasting text from Word
When you copy and paste text from Microsoft Word 2007 into Gmail, extra space may be added between lines. Here are three ways to avoid this problem:
- Hold the Shift key when you press Enter to create line breaks in Word.
- Change Word's default style settings to the Word 2003 style.
- Change your paragraph format settings in Word to add a 10pt space after each line.
Scrollbars disappear when using Gmail in a small browser window
Bottom and right side scrollbars disappear when Gmail is viewed in a small browser window. We're investigating the problem. In the meantime, please resize your browser window to make it larger, if possible. You can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard or your mouse's scroll wheel to navigate your Gmail page.
POP, IMAP and Sync
IMAP clients timeout or crash when downloading very large folders
IMAP client stopped syncing mail from the server
If you are experiencing problems with your IMAP client, try changing the visibility of “All mail” and “Drafts” labels from the settings:
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings on the top of any Gmail page.
- Select the Labels tab.
- Ensure that the "Show in IMAP" checkbox is selected for both "All mail" and "Drafts".
Problems with country hostnames like "pop.gmail.com.br"
You might experience problems with your POP or IMAP client if you're using a Gmail hostname other than pop.gmail.com, smtp.gmail.com, or imap.gmail.com (such as smtp.gmail.com.br or www.gmail.co.in). We no longer support these country-specific hostnames for POP or IMAP since they were enabled accidentally.
"A message in your account was listed with an invalid size. It has been left on the server."
We've aware of an issue where you might be seeing messages with the text,"A message in your account was listed with an invalid size. It has been left on the server" when fetching or importing messages from another Gmail account.
We’re working to resolve this issue, but in the meantime, you can use email forwarding to automatically send messages from one Gmail account to another.
Message size is shown as 0 bytes
I see an error message when trying connect to Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts on Windows 8 or Windows RT
Error message: “Unable to connect. Ensure that the information you have entered is correct.”
- Open Gmail in your web browser. Go to mail.google.com in your web browser and sign in.
- Use the Mail app. When adding a new account to the Mail app, make sure that Include your Google contacts and calendars is unchecked.
Google Calendar and Google Contacts options
View your Google Calendar and Google Contacts in your web browser. Go to www.google.com/calendar and www.google.com/contacts in your web browser and sign in.
Google Apps options
If you are a Google Apps user, please contact your Google Apps administrator to ensure that Google Sync is enabled for your account.