You can create a space for ongoing and long-term conversations.
When you create a space, you can:
- Name the space.
- Split the conversation into threads.
- Invite people or groups.
Important: To add someone to a space, they must have a personal, work, or school account. If they don't, learn how to create a Google account.
Create a space in Gmail
- Open Gmail.
- Next to "Spaces", click add .
- Click Create space.
- To resize this section, at the top of "Spaces," drag up or down.
- To add a space avatar, click Choose an emoji select an emoji. If you don't select an emoji, a default letter avatar will be used instead.
- Enter a space name.
- To add a person or group to the space, enter the name, email, Google Groups, or select suggested contacts to invite.
- Optional for Workspace users:
- To allow threaded replies, select Use threaded replies.
- To invite external people into the space, check Allow people outside of your organization to join.
- Important: After you click Create, you can’t change these actions.
- Repeat for each invitee.
- Click Create.
Turn a group chat into a space
If you created a group chat, you can turn it into a space. When you use a space, you can name the space, share files, and assign tasks with other people in the space.
- Go to Google Chat or your Gmail account.
- From the Chat panel, find and click the group chat you want to change to a space.
- At the top, next to the group chat name, click the Down arrow Turn this chat into a space .
- Add a space name. To add an optional space icon, click Add .
- Click Done. A notification confirms your chat is now a space, and notifies members in the group of the change.
Tip: You can add and remove people from a space at any time.
Delete a space
- You can only delete a space if you’re the space creator.
- When you delete a space, all messages and tasks in the space are deleted. Permissions on Drive files are removed, but the file isn’t deleted.
- Once a space is deleted, you can’t recover it.
- This feature might not be available on your work or school account. It is currently available only for Google Workspace Business Standard and Starter subscriptions.