Turn Chat on or off in Gmail
- Open the Gmail app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings.
- Choose an account to opt in to Google Chat.
- Under “General,” next to “Chat,” turn on Show the chat and spaces tab.
How is Chat in Gmail different from Chat?
You get the same features in Chat and Chat in Gmail, but the integrated Gmail experience provides a central location to communicate with friends, family, or coworkers between emails.
- Chat: Use when you prefer a dedicated chat experience and don't mind switching between different apps.
- Gmail: Use when you like to multi-task and prefer to view all of your communications in one place. Learn more about the new integrated Gmail layout.