To add a new contact, follow these steps:
- Open your Contacts list by clicking Gmail in the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts. If you're a Google Apps user, click Mail and then Contacts. Contacts are also available at www.google.com/contacts.
- In the top-left corner, click New Contact.
- Enter your contact's information in the appropriate fields. Any information you add will save automatically.
Note: These instructions only work with the standard view of Gmail. If they don't match what you see, upgrade to a supported browser or go to the standard view by clicking standard at the bottom of your Gmail page.
Automatically added contacts
Email addresses are automatically added to your Contacts list each time you use the Reply, Reply to all, or Forward functions to send mail to addresses that don't already exist in your Contacts list. If you use Google+, adding a person to your circle will also add them to your Contacts list in Gmail. If these addresses don't appear immediately, try waiting a few minutes or signing out of your account and signing back in.
Look for automatically added contacts in the Other Contacts group on the left side.
If you don't want contacts to be automatically added, follow these steps:
- Click the gear in the top right .
- Select Settings.
- In the General tab, find the “Create contacts for auto-complete” setting and choose I’ll add contacts myself.